Finding Active & Reactive Power: Possible Error in Lecture

In summary, the conversation is about finding active power (P) and reactive power (Q) using complex numbers. The speaker shares a screenshot from a lecture and explains how to calculate P using a formula. However, there is a discrepancy between the answer they get and the answer obtained by another method. They also mention another formula for finding VA and suggest that the answer should be 500. In the end, they clarify that their calculation method involves using complex numbers and the final answer is 500.
Yarnzorrr
here is a screenshot from one of my lectures talking about how to find active power (P) and reactive power (Q)

He calculates P using 100*10 Cos (30-(-30), which I understand, though the answer he gets is 200W, but whenever I calculate it I get 500 because cos60 = 0.5 and 0.5*1000 is 500.

Just wanting to know what I'm doing wrong.
Thanks.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-09-18 at 5.18.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-09-18 at 5.18.48 PM.png
    29 KB · Views: 444
Engineering news on Phys.org
It does look like it should be 500.

Yes, its obviously 500.
Also, VA = Sqrt(Watts^2+Var^2)
1000 ~= sqrt(500^2+866^2)

I think it's 500

I use complex number. From the picture of the board:

V=100∠+30 deg = 100(0.866+j0.5)= 86.6+50j
I=10∠-30 deg = 10(0.866-j0.5)= 8.66-j5.

Power =Re[IV]= Re[(86.6+j50)(8.66-j5)]= 749.956-250=500.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. After reviewing the lecture and your calculations, it appears that there is an error in the calculation for active power. The correct formula for active power is P = V*I*cos(theta), where V is voltage, I is current, and theta is the phase angle between the two. In this case, the phase angle is 60 degrees, not 30 degrees as shown in the lecture. Therefore, the correct calculation would be P = 1000*10*cos(60) = 500 watts.

I apologize for any confusion this may have caused and I will make sure to clarify this in future lectures. It is important to always double check calculations and formulas to ensure accuracy in scientific work. Thank you for bringing this to my attention and I hope this clarification helps.

1. What is active and reactive power?

Active power, also known as real power, is the actual amount of power consumed by a load in an electrical circuit. It is measured in watts (W). Reactive power is the power used to establish and maintain an electric or magnetic field in a circuit. It is measured in volt-amps reactive (VAR).

2. What is the difference between active and reactive power?

The main difference between active and reactive power is their effect on the load. Active power is responsible for producing useful work, while reactive power is needed to maintain the voltage level and ensure that the electrical components function properly.

3. What are some common errors that can occur when calculating active and reactive power?

Some common errors in calculating active and reactive power include using incorrect formulas, incorrect measurements, and not accounting for power factor. It is important to carefully follow the correct equations and double-check all measurements to avoid errors.

4. How can I check for possible errors when calculating active and reactive power?

To check for possible errors, you can compare your calculated values with the expected values based on the known parameters of your circuit. You can also use a power quality analyzer or multimeter to measure the active and reactive power directly.

5. What are some potential sources of error in a lecture about finding active and reactive power?

Potential sources of error in a lecture about finding active and reactive power could include using incorrect formulas, using inaccurate measurements, or not considering all factors that can affect power calculations. It is important for the lecturer to carefully review their material and ensure that all information presented is accurate and complete.