1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Possible mistake in question?

1. Dec 21, 2008 #1
    probably not but if not i dont know where to start...
    let U and W be vector subspaces of V. Show that UnW is a vector subspace of V
    define the subspace U+W. What does it mean to say that V is a direct sum, UdirectsumW of U and W

understand the direct sum part but surely i need values of U and W to show UnW is a vector space of V?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The same way you show that any subset of a vector space is a subspace: show that it is closed under addition of vectors and scalar multiplication.

If u and v are vectors in UnW then, by definition of "intersection" they are in both U and W. Since u and v are both in U, and U is a subspace of V, u+ v is in U ...

Can you finish that?
  4. Dec 21, 2008 #3
    ye chears that helps alot, could you take a look at my other post please? thanks
  5. Dec 22, 2008 #4
    hang on no i havn't read this properly at all, i'm still as stuck as i first was where has little v and u came from? if anything i'm more confused
  6. Dec 22, 2008 #5
    think i'm getting my head arround it now u and v elements of UnW so that u+v are elements of U and u+v are elements of W so because of this u+v are elements of UnW
    the only thing i'm not getting is where this u and v are coming from? It would make more sence to me if it was u and w not u and v. and where is the w surely this is an element of UnW also?????

i do however understand rules 1 and 3 multiplying by a scalar and zero vector just the addition thats baffeling me
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  7. Dec 22, 2008 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You can call vectors anything you like! I wanted to avoid "u" and "w" specifically because someone might think that "u" must be in U and "w" must be in W.

Perhaps it would be better to say "if x and y are members of UnW then they are both members of U and both members of W. Since U is a subspace, it is closed under addition: x+ y is in U. Since W is a subspace, it is closed under addition: x+ y is in W. Since x+ y is in both U and W, it is UnW.

Now, you need to show that if x is in UnW, so is ax for a any number.

Oh, and you need to prove the subset is non-empty- most often that's done by showing that the 0 vector is in the set.
  8. Dec 26, 2008 #7
    thanks got it now
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?