Can I Get a MS in Physics with a BS in CompSci?

• Thread starter sloan31
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, it would probably be difficult to get into a graduate program in physics if you have a BS in computer science.
sloan31
Hello,
I don't have time to attend college on campus right now so I'm currently pursuing my BS in computer science through an online option. After a lot of thought, I do wish to pursue physics. I've always been interested, you know reading some basic books on physics and watching those documentaries on the science channel. It is my hope that later I will have time to go to school on campus and so my question is, would it be typical for someone with a BS in CompSci to be admitted to a MS in physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
I still can't get it.

In the country i live in it is absolutely impossible to go such a way.

MS in physics needs a Bachelor in physics.

I hate the country i live in...

I would say that it depends on both the countries and your aptitude for maths, also what coursework for maths you've taken.

If you can demonstrate that you have a thorough knowledge of undergraduate physics, It shouldn't be too difficult to get admitted to an MS.

In general this would be pretty difficult.

To get into a graduate program, you need to meet the program's entrance requirements. Generally for a physics program you need an honours physics undergraduate degree. Engineering students often have enough physics in their cirriculum to transfer, but from computer science - whilst I don't think you would be excluded completely, it would certainly be an uphill battle, and even in grad school you would likely have to take some senior level undergrad physics courses just to get onto the same level as your physics colleagues.

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I'll have to find a school that will let me take the undergrad courses through some type of bridge program. Worse case secenario...and if I'm truly motivated, I'll go for second BS degree.

If I do that I'll probably be around 40 years old by the time I finish my MS, I hope that's not too old.

1. Can I pursue a MS in Physics with a BS in Computer Science?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a MS in Physics with a BS in Computer Science. While the two fields may seem different, they both involve a strong foundation in mathematics and problem-solving skills. Some universities even offer joint programs that combine coursework from both fields.

2. Will I need any additional coursework to be eligible for a MS in Physics with a BS in CompSci?

It depends on the specific program and university you are applying to. Some programs may require prerequisite courses in physics or other related subjects, while others may accept your computer science coursework as a sufficient background. It is best to check with the program directly to see if you need to fulfill any additional requirements.

3. How long does it typically take to complete a MS in Physics with a BS in CompSci?

The length of the program can vary depending on the university and whether you are pursuing a full-time or part-time schedule. Generally, it can take 2-3 years to complete a MS in Physics with a BS in CompSci. If you have any transfer credits or have taken relevant coursework during your undergraduate studies, it may shorten the length of your program.

4. What kind of job opportunities are available with a MS in Physics and a BS in CompSci?

Completing a MS in Physics with a BS in CompSci can open up a variety of career paths. Some common job titles include data scientist, software engineer, research scientist, and data analyst. With a strong foundation in both physics and computer science, you can also explore opportunities in fields such as artificial intelligence, robotics, and bioinformatics.

5. Are there any specific skills or experiences that would make me stand out as a candidate for a MS in Physics with a BS in CompSci program?

While it may vary depending on the program, having a strong background in mathematics and coding can be beneficial for pursuing a MS in Physics with a BS in CompSci. Additionally, any research experience or internships in related fields can make you a more competitive candidate. It is also important to have a genuine interest and passion for both physics and computer science, as this will shine through in your application and coursework.