Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Possible solution for dark energy

1. Feb 2, 2005 #1

wolram

Gold Member

http://xxx.lanl.gov/pdf/astro-ph/0309679
    Mechanism for vanishing zero point energy
    Robert D klauber. Jan 2005.
    This paper is way beyond my ken, if anyone has an interest, will
    they please explain the basics.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2005 #2

wolram

Gold Member

The paper also suggests a solution to dark energy.

4. Feb 2, 2005 #3

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The problem with zero point enrgy in cosmological theories is that it leads to a ridculously large cosmological constant*, what this paper claims to do is to resove this problem by offering a mechaism so that the effect is cancels giving a zero cosmological constant. It also claim that slight assymetries could lead to non-zero, but sensibly sized cosmological constant that could explain the obsrevations of so-called dark energy.

* http://super.colorado.edu/~michaele/Lambda/phys.html

5. Feb 2, 2005 #4

wolram

Gold Member

By JCSD
    The problem with zero point enrgy in cosmological theories is that it leads to a ridculously large cosmological constant*, what this paper claims to do is to resove this problem by offering a mechaism so that the effect is cancels giving a zero cosmological constant. It also claim that slight assymetries could lead to non-zero, but sensibly sized cosmological constant that could explain the obsrevations of so-called dark energy.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Yes i understood upto this point, but what is the cancelling mechanism?

6. Feb 2, 2005 #5

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hmm you'd to ask one of the 'QFT guys' for detailed answer, but what it appears to tlak about is the inclusion of solutions in QFT previosuly disgarded for representing negtive enegry states that cancel out the effects of zero point energy in cosmologicla models.

7. Feb 2, 2005 #6

wolram

Gold Member

Do you think it best to move this thread, if so will a moderator please
    do so.

8. Feb 3, 2005 #7

wolram

Gold Member

He talks about negative frequencies and supplemental solutions.
    I guess this means that that the negative portion of the field is
    ignored in calculating the total energy, and if it is included the
    total energy is near to zero, this is obviously a very simplistic
    explanation, and i cannot see why it has been ignored by others
    if it that obvious.

9. Feb 3, 2005 #8

hellfire

Science Advisor

I do not understand why does the author claim that these are "supplemental" solutions. I think that when one expands the field (e.g. the Klein-Gordon field) in fourier modes, these modes form a complete basis of solutions to the field equation. Changing w to -w may result in a change of basis, but not in a new solution. Am I wrong? Actually, this is not a relativity but a QFT question.

10. Feb 3, 2005 #9

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think he may very well be re-interpreting the solutions, unfortunately I don't really know enough to comment.

11. Feb 3, 2005 #10

wolram

Gold Member

Thankyou for your help JCSD , but i am far from an understanding
    of this paper, if anyone has some inkling as to what it is about i will
    be happy to here from them

12. Feb 3, 2005 #11

Garth

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Interesting approach...
    It is a scalar -tensor theory in which the scalar field is coupled to mass by the wave equation. Reversing time gives you a second set of solutions which are normally discarded, they go backwards in time, and the author finds that if these are included in a quantum field theory you end up with a gravitational theory that resolves the 'lambda' (ZPE) and the Dark Energy problems.

Garth

13. Feb 4, 2005 #12

wolram

Gold Member

By GARTH
    Interesting approach...
    It is a scalar -tensor theory in which the scalar field is coupled to mass by the wave equation. Reversing time gives you a second set of solutions which are normally discarded, they go backwards in time, and the author finds that if these are included in a quantum field theory you end up with a gravitational theory that resolves the 'lambda' (ZPE) and the Dark Energy problems.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thank GARTH
    By reversing time, is it meant that he is looking at the history of the field,
    or is he reversing in a pure mathematical way?

14. Feb 4, 2005 #13

Garth

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Most physical equations are time reversible, the entropy equation being an exception. Therefore solutions often arise in pairs, one represents forward time and the other reversed time, such as the retarded and advanced solutions of Maxwell's EM equations of EM. Drop a stone in a pond and the wave propagating outwards is represented by the retarded solution, a mathematical advanced solution would represent the wave converging onto the point and time where and when the stone enters the water, it doesn't exist in (our?) reality. [When I have patented my TV that picks up tomorrow's programmes by the advanced tv waves, I'll tell you and enter the lottery!].
    Klauber seems to have done that with the scalar field wave equation.

Garth

Last edited: Feb 4, 2005
  15. Feb 4, 2005 #14

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

This advanced-retarded wave thing is an old technique. Recall Wheeler and Feynmann did a version of electromagnetism based of it (I believe part of it was Feynmann's PhD thesis). And John Cramer's Transactional Interpretation of QM is based on the same idea with quantum wave functions. The key is that the waves in both directions of time get reflected and come back together and interact, giving physics.

16. Feb 4, 2005 #15

wolram

Gold Member

Enlightenment thanks, i think i will keep this one in the maybe file.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?