Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Possible terrestrial extrasolar planet found

1. Aug 26, 2004 #1

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/space/08/26/new.planet/index.html

The system has two other outer gas planets, which makes it more similar to our own solar system than anything else found so far.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2004 #2
    what is currently considered the mass limit of terrestrial planets? 14X seems higher than I thought was possible for rocky worlds-

4. Aug 26, 2004 #3

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The article discusses it. It does seem to be right at the limit.

5. Aug 26, 2004 #4

turbo

Gold Member

SMALL telescope made the discovery

Interestingly enough, my morning paper carried an article by AP Science Writer J. B. Verrignia who claims that the discovery was made with a SMALL telescope. This link confirms that the instrument was a 4" aperture telescope and that the planet was discovered via photometry.

http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/previous/latest.html

I guess I should buy some photometric gear and an auto-guider and turn my 6" APO into a planet-discovering machine!

6. Aug 30, 2004 #5

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The small telescope is the easiest part of the system. You also need a large, sensitive CCD; fortunately these are available for amateurs (e.g. Apogee Instruments), a good autoguider (again well within reach of amateurs, e.g. SBIG), lots of computer power (top of the line PCs will do), and image analysis software (uh oh!). The most expensive part is the CCD (>~$10,000?); the most difficult is the image analysis software.

7. Aug 30, 2004 #6

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Reread that article you linked to (it's a little confusing the way they presented it). The recent discovery of an extrasolar planet using a 4" scope was of a Jupiter-sized planet. I started a separate topic on that.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=40662

The discovery of this terrestrial planet was done with a big telescope.

The VLT consists of four 8.2-meter and several 1.8-meter telescopes (linked).

8. Aug 30, 2004 #7

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

Further corroboration of what is becoming increasingly apparent. Stars with planetary systems not unlike the solar system are quite common. the Kepler Mission [planned launch: 2007] and the Space Interferometry Mission [proposed launch: 2009] should result in a large number of addition to the current catalog. See link for details.
    http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/missions/future_missions.cfm

9. Aug 30, 2004 #8

turbo

Gold Member

Duh! The the article in the newspaper was an agglomeration, announcing the discovery of both planets - Jupiter sized and "very-large-but-rocky". The paper used a headline implying that the discoveries were done with very small telescopes, and predicted a new wave of small-telescope planet-hunters would arise, never mentioning that a very large scope had been used to locate the rocky one. I typed in the link right out of the newspaper article and didn't take the time to read it through. :redface: Never take a newspaper science writer at face value.

Thanks for the clarification Phobos! Now my dream of discovering a terrestrial planet is shattered. I will have to wait until I can buy a 60" R-C scope and a decent observatory to house it in (even a Powerball win wouldn't cover that). Maybe if I figure and polish the mirrors by hand, maybe I can cut costs! Of course, I'll be at least 200 years old before I'm done. :tongue2:

10. Sep 1, 2004 #9

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

11. Sep 1, 2004 #10
    wow thats a small planet

12. Sep 2, 2004 #11

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:confused: It's much bigger than the Earth.

13. Sep 2, 2004 #12
    what the hell? i must have misread something

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?