1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Possible that a fabric can be used as a diffraction grating

1. Sep 17, 2004 #1
    Is it possible that a fabric can be used as a diffraction grating where in the space between strands of threads is a small fraction of a millimeter?

My answer is yes. does it mean that the light can be bended due to this? I mean how come?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2004 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You are right.

In the exact same way that a diffraction grating (transmission) does. As long as the spacing is of order a micron, you will have noticeable diffraction in the visible range.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2004
  4. Sep 17, 2004 #3
    One more thing... How is it possible for those "sound waves" be heard by a person even if he's in a different house... I mean, yup, by diffraction, one can hear your neighbor shouting at your house? How would that sound travel.. in order to hear it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?