Possible to convert MPEG-4 Audio?

In summary, the individual recently purchased an iPod and downloaded iTunes. They encountered an issue when attempting to convert their purchased music in MPEG-4 Audio format (.m4a) to another format such as .wav or .wma. A quick Google search yielded a potential solution in the form of a program called River Past Audio Converter. Additionally, they mention that Mplayer on a Linux machine may also be able to convert the files. However, the individual notes that the unregistered version of the converter program only allows for files under 2 minutes to be converted.
nsnayak
I recently bought an iPod, and with it, I downloaded iTunes. When I bought music from iTunes it came in MPEG-4 Audio format (.m4a, MPEG/AAC). Is there any way I can convert these files to another format (preferable .wav, .wma, etc.)?

Computer science news on Phys.org
A quick google search turns up this:

http://www.pcworlddownload.com/multimedia-graphics/music-creation/River-Past-Audio-Converter.htm [Broken]

Also, if you have a Linux machine, Mplayer supposedly can read MP-4 files and write them out as .wav files.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright...thanks. It worked, but unfortunately the unregistered version only let's you convert files under 2 minutes. Oh well, I guess it's better than nothing.

1. Is it possible to convert MPEG-4 Audio to other audio formats?

Yes, it is possible to convert MPEG-4 Audio to other audio formats such as MP3, WAV, AAC, and more. There are many software programs and online tools available that allow you to easily convert MPEG-4 Audio files.

2. What are the benefits of converting MPEG-4 Audio to other formats?

The main benefit of converting MPEG-4 Audio to other formats is compatibility. Many devices and media players may not support MPEG-4 Audio, so converting it to a more widely accepted format ensures that you can play it on various devices. Converting to other formats also allows for easier editing and manipulation of the audio file.

3. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to converting MPEG-4 Audio?

One limitation of converting MPEG-4 Audio is the potential loss of quality. Converting a compressed audio format to another format may result in a decrease in audio quality. Additionally, some formats may not support certain features of MPEG-4 Audio, such as multiple audio channels or high-quality surround sound.

4. Can I convert MPEG-4 Audio to other formats without losing quality?

It is possible to convert MPEG-4 Audio to other formats without losing quality, but it depends on the specific conversion process and the output format chosen. Some software programs may offer options for preserving the original quality of the audio file during conversion. It is important to research and choose a trusted and reliable conversion method to minimize quality loss.

5. Is there a recommended software or tool for converting MPEG-4 Audio?

There are many software programs and online tools available for converting MPEG-4 Audio. Some popular options include iTunes, Audacity, and online converters such as Zamzar and CloudConvert. It is recommended to try out a few different options and choose the one that best fits your needs and provides the desired quality results.