Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Possible to create the spidey web that spiderman uses?

1. Jun 21, 2004 #1
    just wondering....is it possible to create the spidey web that spiderman uses?:P

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2004 #2

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sure, researchers are trying to mass produce the spider dragline filament.. it is much stronger and lighter than steel and has a tensile strenght of up to 300,000 pounds per square inch :O

Goats were genetically modified to produce the spiders silk in their milk, producing 15 g of thread per liter :) They might have different technologies in the meanwhile, I'm not sure.

They did try before the goats to use bacteria to produce the silk, but the threads were too short to be spun into fibres.

4. Jun 21, 2004 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The only diificulty so far is finding a way to shoot it out of your wrist and make it stick to the neighboring building.

5. Jun 21, 2004 #4
    OH MY GOD :eek:
    Now I definately want to be a biologist. Before I thought being a biologist would just either be research or something boring in a lab, but if there's the opportunity to genetically engineer goats to make spider-silk milk, oh man, this is totally my calling. I'd really love to see someone not milk a goat for a LONG time so the pressure builds up and then turn it upside down and milk it towards a ceiling and leave it hanging there.

6. Jun 22, 2004 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Now I can see why you would like Bunuel.

7. Jun 24, 2004 #6
    onli 15 grams per litre?
    haha
    any other more household method?

8. Jun 24, 2004 #7

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How many litres do a herd of goat produce each day? That 15 gram will accumulate really fast.

A household method? Try having a room filled with spiders as a pet and harvest the webs from there, the only problem being that spiders are very territorial and eat eachother (yes, they did try to do it this way).

9. Jun 24, 2004 #8

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you want more info on the "spider" goat here the for nexia, the biotech that has developed the technology.
    http://nexiabiotech.com/

10. Jun 26, 2004 #9
    cool

anymore?

11. Jun 26, 2004 #10
    Okay, Evol, can you tell me why you wanted to know about this ?

12. Jul 1, 2004 #11
    its kinda cool isnt it?
    but i just wanna find out if its theroctically possible...
    imagine....spidermna's webbing

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?