Possible to create the spidey web that spiderman uses?

• Thread starter Evil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Web
In summary: DIn summary, researchers are trying to mass produce the spider dragline filament. It is much stronger and lighter than steel and has a tensile strenght of up to 300,000 pounds per square inch.
Evil
just wondering...is it possible to create the spidey web that spiderman uses?:P

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Sure, researchers are trying to mass produce the spider dragline filament.. it is much stronger and lighter than steel and has a tensile strenght of up to 300,000 pounds per square inch :O

Goats were genetically modified to produce the spiders silk in their milk, producing 15 g of thread per liter :) They might have different technologies in the meanwhile, I'm not sure.

They did try before the goats to use bacteria to produce the silk, but the threads were too short to be spun into fibres.

The only diificulty so far is finding a way to shoot it out of your wrist and make it stick to the neighboring building.

Monique said:
Goats were genetically modified to produce the spiders silk in their milk, producing 15 g of thread per liter :) They might have different technologies in the meanwhile, I'm not sure.
OH MY GOD :eek:
Now I definitely want to be a biologist. Before I thought being a biologist would just either be research or something boring in a lab, but if there's the opportunity to genetically engineer goats to make spider-silk milk, oh man, this is totally my calling. I'd really love to see someone not milk a goat for a LONG time so the pressure builds up and then turn it upside down and milk it towards a ceiling and leave it hanging there.

wasteofo2 said:
I'd really love to see someone not milk a goat for a LONG time so the pressure builds up and then turn it upside down and milk it towards a ceiling and leave it hanging there.

Now I can see why you would like Bunuel.

onli 15 grams per litre?
haha
any other more household method?

How many litres do a herd of goat produce each day? That 15 gram will accumulate really fast.

A household method? Try having a room filled with spiders as a pet and harvest the webs from there, the only problem being that spiders are very territorial and eat each other (yes, they did try to do it this way).

If you want more info on the "spider" goat here the for nexia, the biotech that has developed the technology.
http://nexiabiotech.com/

cool

anymore?

Okay, Evol, can you tell me why you wanted to know about this ?

its kinda cool isn't it?
but i just want to find out if its theroctically possible...
imagine...spidermna's webbing

1. Can we really create a web like Spiderman's?

Currently, there is no known technology or material that can produce a web like Spiderman's. The web used by Spiderman is fictional and not possible to recreate in real life.

2. What is the science behind Spiderman's web?

In the comics and movies, Spiderman's web is described as a synthetic material with high tensile strength and elasticity. It is believed to be a combination of spider silk and a synthetic liquid created by Peter Parker.

3. Is it possible to genetically modify spiders to produce a web like Spiderman's?

While scientists have successfully genetically modified spiders to produce different types of silk, there is no evidence that it is possible to create a web like Spiderman's through genetic modification.

4. Are there any materials that come close to Spiderman's web?

There are a few materials that have properties similar to spider silk, such as Kevlar and nylon. However, these materials are not strong enough to support a human's weight like Spiderman's web does.

5. Could advancements in technology make it possible to create a web like Spiderman's in the future?

While it is impossible to predict the future, it is highly unlikely that we will be able to create a web like Spiderman's in the near future. The concept of a web with such incredible strength and elasticity is beyond our current technology and understanding of materials.