1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Possible Undergrad Research

1. Jan 13, 2007 #1
    Hey everyone,

I recently met with a professor who is prominent in research at my university to discuss undergraduate research opportunites. I expressed my interest in conducting research and after talking for a while he told me to bring him a resume. Would you say that shows an interest in hiring me, or is it normal for professors to ask for resumes?

I ask because I am extremely interesting in working with him and am trying to analyze my chances.
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2007 #2
    It could mean various things. If he had NOTHING to be done he wouldn't have even asked for a resume, so thats a start. He probably just wants to know what you can do. Not very helpful, I know :P But good luck
  4. Jan 13, 2007 #3
    He did mention that he had no open positions right now but he does have some seniors who do research that are graduating this semester. I'm hoping that he wanted the resume to keep until a position opens up.
  5. Jan 13, 2007 #4
    Read some of his papers and come up with some good questions and talk to him about it. This will get you stuck in his mind and you'll have a much better chance of getting a position.

BTW, you probably won't understand most of the papers at your level, but you can still get the gist of it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?