1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Possibly a very stupid question

1. Sep 6, 2010 #1
    Does dx/dv = t ? Can you just manipulate equations like this?
    [ x is position and v is velocity, t time :P ]

Stu

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2010 #2
    set
    v=x
    x=v
    see what you get

4. Sep 6, 2010 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

How did you get that?

dx/dt = v. I hope you didn't multiply both sides by t and divide both sides by v to get the equation above. If that's what you did (just a guess), that's not a valid operation. dt is not the product of d and t.

5. Sep 6, 2010 #4
    surely you just get = 1/t then intergrate both sides you get v = x/t which is correct, so dx/dv must be = to t ??

(thank you for your reply, :) )

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  6. Sep 6, 2010 #5
    these derivatives are trivial. you can easily learn to do them in a single day.
    you would be better off learning to do this yourself than asking us to do it for you

7. Sep 6, 2010 #6
    They are, I was trying to show someone that they could do what I asked in the initial question with a different derivative, they were confused and I was struggling to justify that it was true, getting myself in a loop of confusion. I was not really asking people to do it for me.

8. Sep 6, 2010 #7
    No that is not what I did, I assumed you were measuring a tiny change in v and x instead of x and t.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook