Is dx/dv Equal to Time When Considering Small Changes in Velocity and Position?

• Thread starter splatcat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stupid
In summary, the conversation is about the equation dx/dt = v and whether or not it can be manipulated to get dx/dv = t. The conversation also touches on the concept of derivatives and the importance of learning to do them oneself instead of relying on others for help.
splatcat
Does dx/dv = t ? Can you just manipulate equations like this?
[ x is position and v is velocity, t time :P ]

Stu

Mathematics news on Phys.org
set
v=x
x=v
see what you get

How did you get that?

dx/dt = v. I hope you didn't multiply both sides by t and divide both sides by v to get the equation above. If that's what you did (just a guess), that's not a valid operation. dt is not the product of d and t.

surely you just get = 1/t then intergrate both sides you get v = x/t which is correct, so dx/dv must be = to t ??

(thank you for your reply, :) )

Last edited:
these derivatives are trivial. you can easily learn to do them in a single day.
you would be better off learning to do this yourself than asking us to do it for you

They are, I was trying to show someone that they could do what I asked in the initial question with a different derivative, they were confused and I was struggling to justify that it was true, getting myself in a loop of confusion. I was not really asking people to do it for me.

No that is not what I did, I assumed you were measuring a tiny change in v and x instead of x and t.

1. What is the meaning of "Possibly a very stupid question"?

The phrase "possibly a very stupid question" is typically used to acknowledge that a question may seem silly or obvious, but the person asking it is unsure of the answer and genuinely seeking clarification.

2. Why do people say "Possibly a very stupid question" before asking a question?

People may say this phrase as a way to preface a question that they fear may be perceived as foolish. It is also a way to acknowledge that the question may have an obvious answer, but the person still needs clarification.

3. Is there such a thing as a "stupid" question?

No, there is no such thing as a "stupid" question. Asking questions is an important part of learning and gaining knowledge. What may seem like a silly question to one person may be a genuine inquiry for someone else.

4. How can I feel more confident asking questions without feeling like they are "stupid"?

Remember that there is no such thing as a "stupid" question. Everyone has different levels of knowledge and understanding, and asking questions is a way to learn and grow. Also, try to create a safe and non-judgmental environment when others ask questions, so you will feel more comfortable doing the same.

5. Is there a better way to phrase a question to avoid using the phrase "Possibly a very stupid question"?

Instead of using that phrase, you could simply ask the question without any preface. You could also say something like, "I'm not sure if this is a silly question, but can you clarify...?" This acknowledges that you may not know the answer and are seeking clarification without labeling the question as "stupid."