Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Possibly a very stupid question

1. Sep 6, 2010 #1
    Does dx/dv = t ? Can you just manipulate equations like this?
    [ x is position and v is velocity, t time :P ]

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2010 #2
    see what you get
  4. Sep 6, 2010 #3

Staff: Mentor

How did you get that?

dx/dt = v. I hope you didn't multiply both sides by t and divide both sides by v to get the equation above. If that's what you did (just a guess), that's not a valid operation. dt is not the product of d and t.
  5. Sep 6, 2010 #4
    surely you just get = 1/t then intergrate both sides you get v = x/t which is correct, so dx/dv must be = to t ??

(thank you for your reply, :) )
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  6. Sep 6, 2010 #5
    these derivatives are trivial. you can easily learn to do them in a single day.
    you would be better off learning to do this yourself than asking us to do it for you
  7. Sep 6, 2010 #6
    They are, I was trying to show someone that they could do what I asked in the initial question with a different derivative, they were confused and I was struggling to justify that it was true, getting myself in a loop of confusion. I was not really asking people to do it for me.
  8. Sep 6, 2010 #7
    No that is not what I did, I assumed you were measuring a tiny change in v and x instead of x and t.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook