Proving Polynomial Properties: Existence of nxn Matrix in Field k

• Thread starter DeadWolfe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stupid
In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of the existence of an nxn matrix with entries in a field k, with a characteristic polynomial of any degree n polynomial p(x) with coefficients in k. The conversation also mentions the difficulty of finding such a matrix in cases where the roots are outside the field, and suggests using companion matrices as a solution.
DeadWolfe
How might one prove that for any degree n polynomial p(x) with coefficients lying in a field k, there exists any nxn matrix with entries in k with characteristic polynomial p?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have a diagonal matrix with entries [itex]\lambda_1, \lambda_2, \cdots, \lambda_n[/itex] then what is its characteristic polynomial?

[addition]It's not as easy as I thought. For example, the polynomial [itex]x^2 + 1[/itex] has real coefficients, two complex roots, and there is a matrix with real entries - namely [[0 1] [-1 0]] - of which it is the characteristic polynomial. So it's not as easy as just taking diag(first root, second root, ...) in the case where the roots can be outside the field (this has a name, I think it is "algebraically closed"?). Of course changing the basis does not change the characteristic polynomial and in my example that is the trick to get a real matrix but you'd have to prove that it is generally possible). But the proof is easy for algebraically closed fields (if that is indeed the name).

Last edited:
Yes, but of course I was interested in the general case (and particularly when k=reals)

Look into companion matrices.

1. What is a "possibly stupid question"?

A "possibly stupid question" is a term used to describe a question that may seem silly or obvious, but is still worth asking in order to fully understand a topic or concept.

2. Why should I ask "possibly stupid questions" as a scientist?

As a scientist, it is important to ask questions and continuously seek knowledge and understanding. Even if a question may seem trivial, it could lead to new insights or perspectives that can further your research or understanding of a topic.

3. Is there such a thing as a truly "stupid" question in science?

No, there is no such thing as a truly "stupid" question in science. Every question, no matter how simple or complex, has the potential to contribute to scientific knowledge and understanding.

4. How can asking "possibly stupid questions" benefit my research?

Asking "possibly stupid questions" can benefit your research by challenging your current understanding and prompting you to think critically about a topic. It can also lead to new ideas and perspectives that can enhance your research and contribute to scientific advancement.

5. Are there any guidelines for asking "possibly stupid questions" in a scientific setting?

While there are no specific guidelines for asking "possibly stupid questions" in a scientific setting, it is important to remain respectful and open-minded when asking and answering questions. It is also helpful to do some research beforehand to ensure that your question has not already been answered or addressed in the scientific community.