1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Possson Probablilty

1. Oct 22, 2011 #1
    Cars pass at randoms times at an average rate of one a minute. The chance of a car stopping to give you a lift is one percent. What is the probability you will have got a lift within one hour?

This has pretty much stumped me. I know λ=60 as expecting 60 cars an hour for the poisson distribution but there's a binomial aspect to this as well because of each car either giving you a lift or not giving you a lift

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2011 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

It's probably easiest to calculate the probability you don't get a ride and then subtract that from 1.

4. Oct 23, 2011 #3
    I agree! But how?

5. Oct 23, 2011 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

What's the probability that exactly n cars pass in an hour?

6. Oct 23, 2011 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If N is the number of cars passing in time t, the event E = {no ride in time t} consists of {N=0} or {N=1 & no ride} or {N=2 & no ride} or .... . Are you familiar with the exponential series? If not, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exponential_function .

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook