Discover "Metastaseis" by Iannis Xenakis

• Thread starter CynicusRex
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Music
In summary, the composer Iannis Xenakis uses shifting time signatures and densities of scoring to propel Metastaseis forward. The piece is by turns intense and spacey, and is recommended for those who enjoy spacey music.
CynicusRex
Gold Member
Any genre any song that stirs your soul.

I'll start off with Metastaseis by Iannis Xenakis. A componist, music theorist, architect-engineer. Most of musical his work is inspired by mathematical concepts. Be warned, it isn't easy to listen to the first couple of times.

As Newtonian views of time show it flowing linearly, Einsteinian views show it as a function of matter and energy; change one of those quantities and time too is changed. Xenakis attempted to make this distinction in his music. While most traditional compositions depend on strictly measured time for the progress of the line, using an unvarying tempo, time signature, or phrase length, Metastaseis changes intensity, register, and density of scoring, as the musical analogues of mass and energy. It is by these changes that the piece propels itself forward: the first and third movements of the work do not have even a melodic theme or motive to hold them together, but rather depend on the strength of this conceptualization of time.​

Another one to get you back to earth...

Science news on Phys.org
TheBlackAdder said:
Metastaseis by Iannis Xenakis
hmmm can't say I enjoy that. :smile:

Here is something I am currently listening to

Didn't realize there was another thread like this. Only searched for music, not song :(
Whoops.

Likes CynicusRex
TheBlackAdder said:
Any genre any song that stirs your soul.
... it isn't easy to listen to the first couple of times...

Reminds me of my experience of Laurie Anderson's "O Superman" over the last 30 years.

I was quite perturbed/disturbed by her "new sound", back then.

Fast forward, 30 years: a youngster FB friend posted another song she did: let x=x

BAM!

Laurie is, and always will be, a freakin' genius...

Likes CynicusRex
OmCheeto said:
Fast forward, 30 years: a youngster FB friend posted another song she did: let x=x
Laurie is, and always will be, a freakin' genius...

Just makes me want to travel the universe. I love spacey music.

I think you'll certainly fancy this, or anything by Palmbomen (or Betonkust)

And Maybe you'll enjoy these...

The hang (instrument)

Tuvan throat singing or Mongolian throat singing. Worth giving a chance, it gets better and better.

1. What is "Metastaseis" by Iannis Xenakis?

"Metastaseis" is a piece of music composed by Iannis Xenakis in 1953-1954. It is a pioneering work of electronic and computer music that uses mathematical principles and stochastic techniques to create a complex and unpredictable sound.

2. What makes "Metastaseis" significant in the world of music?

"Metastaseis" is significant because it was one of the first pieces of music to use mathematical and scientific concepts in its composition. It also pushed the boundaries of traditional music and paved the way for future developments in electronic and computer music.

3. How does "Metastaseis" differ from traditional music?

"Metastaseis" differs from traditional music in its use of mathematical and scientific principles to create sound. It also does not follow traditional musical structures or conventions, making it a highly experimental and unique piece of music.

4. What is the significance of the title "Metastaseis"?

The title "Metastaseis" is a Greek word meaning "transformation" or "change." This reflects the experimental and transformative nature of the piece, as well as Xenakis' background in mathematics and architecture.

5. How has "Metastaseis" influenced modern music?

"Metastaseis" has had a significant influence on modern music, particularly in the realm of electronic and computer music. Its use of mathematical and scientific principles has inspired many composers and musicians to explore new and unconventional ways of creating music.