Post-Celebration Blues: How to Beat the Low Energy After the New Year

• Thread starter Reshma
  • Start date
In summary: We would go out and party all night, and then feel terrible the next day. Now that I am an adult, I just stay in and watch movies. In summary, Phil is very cool.
Reshma
Post-celebration blues??

I wonder if anyone else here feels the same. After all the New Year eve's celebrations I am experiencing these post-celebration blues. My energy levels are at an all-time low and "cheerful" is my least favourite word now. I don't know, I am supposed to be happy and looking forward for the new year but enjoying anything seems to be the last thing on my mind. Any suggestions on how to beat these blues? :redface:

Physics news on Phys.org
I slept through the celebration, and woke up feeling great. You have no one but yourself to blame for your hangovers. :rolleyes:

I didn't exactly have a hangover! I celebrated at home with my family (minus alcohol :biggrin:) and went to sleep at my normal time.

Yes, first of January is my least favorite day of the year.. and with my luck I'm currently in the lab with a cup of coffee ready to start a load of work.. I hope the coffee starts working soon since it feels like I left my brain at home.

Reshma said:
I wonder if anyone else here feels the same. After all the New Year eve's celebrations I am experiencing these post-celebration blues. My energy levels are at an all-time low and "cheerful" is my least favourite word now. I don't know, I am supposed to be happy and looking forward for the new year but enjoying anything seems to be the last thing on my mind. Any suggestions on how to beat these blues? :redface:

Do something. If nothing else, go for a walk.

Who says that you are supposed to be happy? Is that an astrology thing? :biggrin:

Reshma said:
Treat the 'first day of the year' as any other day. Afterall, the designation of 'first day' is arbitrary given that we are simply located on a rotating sphere which is revolving around a much larger sphere of hydrogenous plasma. Can one find the beginning or end of the circumference of a circle?

Like Ivan said - go for a walk.

Last edited:
Monique said:
Yes, first of January is my least favorite day of the year.. and with my luck I'm currently in the lab with a cup of coffee ready to start a load of work.. I hope the coffee starts working soon since it feels like I left my brain at home.

Your first mistake is that it's only a cup of coffee and not a full pot! :biggrin: I'm glad that I work with people who wake up much earlier than I do, so I got to sleep in today and can do the afternoon check on and treatments for our sick sheep instead of needing to get there first thing in the morning.

When something good comes to an end, you are faced with the fact that it is finished and gone for good. You'll never get 2006 back again. So what did you do with 2006? How did you use the time? Can you say you did what you should have done?

I think New Year's Resolutions are supposed to be a way to beat those blues, because you resolve to use this year better than you used the last. You resolve to make a change for the better.

And what were you celebrating anyway? The end of another year, being a year older? Seems like a shallow celebration to me.

I think it's more that when you get to spend a lot of time off from work and school within a short time, and see lots of people you only see once a year, and have lots of big parties, when it's all over, you simply notice that it's quiet again. Time to get back to life as usual.

Astronuc said:
Treat the 'first day of the year' as any other day. Afterall, the designation of 'first day' is arbitrary given that we are simply located on a rotating sphere which is revolving around a much larger sphere of hydrogenous plasma. Can one find the beginning or end of the circumference of a circle.

I wish everyone else would do that rather than use it as the lousiest excuse for a party! :tongue2:

http://www.badastronomy.com/bablog/2006/12/31/happy-new-year-arbitrary-orbital-marker/

neutrino said:
I wish everyone else would do that rather than use it as the lousiest excuse for a party! :tongue2:

http://www.badastronomy.com/bablog/2006/12/31/happy-new-year-arbitrary-orbital-marker/
Phil is very cool. :approve: :cool: :rofl:

Way back in prehistorical times (university), I used to get together with friends for New Year's. Last year we had friends over - and we had a relatively quiet evening just chatting over dinner and afterward. This year I read about pre-Medieval history as well as Medieval - Gibbon's "The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire" is so verbose it can cure insomnia, but its a major source.

neutrino said:
Very nice!

The year, of course, is the time it takes for the Earth to orbit the Sun, right? Well, not exactly. It depends on what you mean by "year", and how you measure it. This takes a wee bit of explaining, so put down the champagne, take the lampshade off your head, and hang on.
I went to a bar last night, and got there just before last call. The barlady would let me have a second drink only if I agreed to wear a silver and pink "PRINCESS" tiara. Oh well...ya got to do watcha got to do! If not for a kindly old man who reminded me about my unusual "hat", I would have gotten back to the lab with it still on!

Last edited:
Moonbear said:
Your first mistake is that it's only a cup of coffee and not a full pot! :biggrin: I'm glad that I work with people who wake up much earlier than I do, so I got to sleep in today and can do the afternoon check on and treatments for our sick sheep instead of needing to get there first thing in the morning.
11.30 pm.. just got home *sigh* I was regretting the cup of coffee, I didn't have the steady hand that I needed for the tissue culture, a few bars of chocolate took that problem away :redface:

Moonbear said:
I think it's more that when you get to spend a lot of time off from work and school within a short time, and see lots of people you only see once a year, and have lots of big parties, when it's all over, you simply notice that it's quiet again. Time to get back to life as usual.
Yeah, that's about why I don't like first of January. The major problem is that you cannot get back to life as usual, since everything is closed, everyone has a day for themselves, you have high expectations for this first new day so nothing seems to be fun enough. This was especially true as a child, when it was a grey boring day, now it doesn't bother me that much since there is enough to do.

Gokul43201 said:
Very nice!

I went to a bar last night, and got there just before last call. The barlady would let me have a second drink only if I agreed to wear a silver and pink "PRINCESS" tiara. Oh well...ya got to do watcha got to do! If not for a kindly old man who reminded me about my unusual "hat", I would have gotten back to the lab with it still on!

:rofl: oh, PLEASE tell me there are pictures of this!

Gokul43201 said:

:rofl: I think you should wear it to the lab tomorrow, when there are people there, so they can see what they missed out on by not staying up all night at the lab with you. :biggrin:

Math Is Hard said:
:rofl: oh, PLEASE tell me there are pictures of this!
No pictures, thankfully! And I discreetly dropped the thing off at the trash bin outside the bar (I was outside, in full view of every pair of eyes that happened my way, when reminded of its presence).

Astronuc said:
Treat the 'first day of the year' as any other day. Afterall, the designation of 'first day' is arbitrary given that we are simply located on a rotating sphere which is revolving around a much larger sphere of hydrogenous plasma. Can one find the beginning or end of the circumference of a circle?

Like Ivan said - go for a walk.

Thanks! I personally hate all the unwanted and over-rated hype surrounding the New Year or any festival for that matter. I am sometimes embarrassed to admit it, but I am glad that I admitted it o:) . Classes resumed today hopefully things should return back to normal.

Happy New Year to everyone, nevertheless! :smile:

1. What are post-celebration blues?

Post-celebration blues refer to the feelings of low energy and mood that can occur after a big event, such as New Year's Eve. This can be caused by a combination of factors, including physical exhaustion, alcohol consumption, and the end of the holiday season.

2. Why do people experience post-celebration blues?

People experience post-celebration blues for a variety of reasons. One common cause is the sudden drop in excitement and adrenaline after a big event. This can leave people feeling drained and unmotivated. Additionally, alcohol consumption and lack of sleep during the celebration can contribute to feelings of fatigue and low energy.

3. How can I beat post-celebration blues?

There are several ways to beat post-celebration blues. First, make sure to get plenty of rest and hydration to replenish your body. Engage in light exercise, such as going for a walk, to boost your energy levels. Also, try to focus on positive memories from the event and plan enjoyable activities for the future.

4. Are there any foods or supplements that can help with post-celebration blues?

While there is no specific food or supplement that can cure post-celebration blues, there are some that may help alleviate symptoms. Foods high in omega-3 fatty acids, such as salmon and walnuts, have been linked to improved mood. Additionally, supplements like vitamin B12 and magnesium have been shown to boost energy levels.

5. How long do post-celebration blues typically last?

The duration of post-celebration blues can vary from person to person. For some, it may only last a day or two, while for others it may persist for a week or more. It is important to take care of yourself and engage in activities that bring you joy to help alleviate these feelings. If they persist for an extended period of time, it may be beneficial to seek professional help.