Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Post count for posts in GD

1. Sep 18, 2008 #1

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

I just learnt that posts made in the General Discussion forum are not counted in the post count. Does this apply to the sub-sections of GD, like Philosophy?

Could anybody tell me the rationale behind this?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2008 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

It should apply to Philosophy, but the post count for some reason didn't get dropped when Philosophy was moved here as a sub-forum. Politics & World Affairs posts do not count.

The rationale is that for consideration for Homework Helper and Science Advisor we are looking for people that are contributing to the sciences and the post count should reflect posts in those forums.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2008
  4. Sep 18, 2008 #3

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

I anticipated that to be the reason. In that case, in my opinion the posts in Forum Feedback should also be not counted, because many a times a number of wasteful posts are made just to find out about how a button works.

So you are saying that philosophers count...? :smile:

5. Sep 18, 2008 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

True, but people may only post a few times there, not hundreds, so I think it was never considered an issue.

Kurdt is working on an FAQ that will answer some of the most common questions and also provide tips. Of course people will start a new thread to ask the question instead of reading the FAQ, but at least we can just answer with "read the FAQ". :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?