Update Post Count on PhysicsForums - Mars

• Thread starter ViewsofMars
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about a member asking for an update on their post count on the PhysicsForums website. The member was informed that posts in General Discussion do not count towards the overall post count and that the number assigned to them was a representation of their posts in other forums. The purpose of the post count was also discussed and it was mentioned that it serves as an indication of a member's involvement in technical or scholarly discussions. The conversation also touched on the topic of identity theft and the ability of forum software to limit users based on their post count. In conclusion, the member expressed their appreciation for the responses and their intention to continue being a helpful contributor on the forum.
ViewsofMars
Hi Greg, :smile:

This is such a wonderful website. Thank you. I was wondering if someone could update the number of postings I've made on PhysicsForums. The current number is incorrect. (I have the links if necessary.) I'm wondering if this could be part of the problem of the "instability" of the system.

Thank you in advance for your consideration in this matter.

Mars

Physics news on Phys.org

ViewsofMars said:
Hi Greg, :smile:

This is such a wonderful website. Thank you. I was wondering if someone could update the number of postings I've made on PhysicsForums. The current number is incorrect. (I have the links if necessary.) I'm wondering if this could be part of the problem of the "instability" of the system.

Thank you in advance for your consideration in this matter.

Mars
Hi ViewsofMars and welcome to PF.

You should note that posts in General Discussion do not count towards your overall post count.

Hootenanny said:
Hi ViewsofMars and welcome to PF.

You should note that posts in General Discussion do not count towards your overall post count.

Well, who or/and what determines when a message of mine should be counted as a post? If I understand you correctly, the number is of posts does not reflect my contributions to the board?

Please note that "Posts: 8" has been for a while the number assigned to me. (tee hee)

And thanks for the welcome. I have been here for a while and do appreciate the kindness.

Thanks again,

Mars

ViewsofMars said:
Well, who or/and what determines when a message of mine should be counted as a post?
If I understand you correctly, the number is of posts does not reflect my contributions to the board?
As I understand it, posts count everywhere except in General - this is to stop people gaming the post count by posting lots of comments to a general chat. The post count serves a useful purpose by giving a quick idea if a post is by a new member (that might need more help or explanation) and if an answer is by somebody who has posted enough that they should be considered reliable.

I don't think PF uses it, but the forum software has the ability to limit what users can do based on their post count.

Posts do not count in feed back or announcements either any more.

ViewsofMars said:
Please note that "Posts: 8" has been for a while the number assigned to me. (tee hee)

You've made 21 posts, 13 of which are in general discussion and feedback and so do not count, hence making your post count 8.

I've split your posts in this thread into a new thread, since they are not related to the original topic of that thread.

ViewsofMars said:
Well, who or/and what determines when a message of mine should be counted as a post?

I think you have missed the idea. Whether post counts or not doesn't depend on its content, but on the subforum it was posted. So any post in General Physics will count, but none of the posts in this thread will increment your post counter.

Thanks for the responses. :biggrin: I’ll carefully review them later.

Of the forums you have posted in, only Medical Sciences (3 of your posts), Social Sciences (4), History and Humanities (1), and Biology (2) count towards your post count of 10.

I think the idea is for the post count to reflect a member's involvement in technical or scholarly discussions.

Posts in General Discussion, Politics, and Feedback do not count. I thought all of the Lounge was supposed to not count, this would include Philosophy and S&D, but it seems posts are still counting there for some reason.

mgb_phys said:
As I understand it, posts count everywhere except in General - this is to stop people gaming the post count by posting lots of comments to a general chat.

Thanks mgb_phys. Interesting. I haven't posted to general chat that much. I do it purely for fun and information. I'll have to check my computer history, etc. to verify the number of times I posted to General. I do recall when I first arrived having gotten several points when posting there. That was not the case when I recently posted there.

I'll review my records and tab up the results. I think it is extremely important to remember the following when people participate on forums in general whether it be here or elsewhere on the Internet. A copy of the page via email and/or printing can verify the activity of said individual, along with the retention period of history held within one's computer. One reason this might be done is to avoid Identity Theft.

mgb_phys said:
The post count serves a useful purpose by giving a quick idea if a post is by a new member (that might need more help or explanation) and if an answer is by somebody who has posted enough that they should be considered reliable.

I’m a well established internationally known science researcher and multi-disciplined in many fields. At my age (female over 50) I'm past the stage of being graded. It doesn't really matter to me if I get a title as I've noted other members have below their name. Hope that helps, knowing I'm here to help as a good volunteer. :smile:

mgb_phys said:
I don't think PF uses it, but the forum software has the ability to limit what users can do based on their post count.

Fascinating. I suspect that would be if a person has contributed thousands and thousands of times which resulted in a high post count? Quite frankly, I'm an extremely busy person so more than likely there will only be a tiny bit of me here. Hopefully, *my* points will be based on quality not quantity (except for the volume of information I do at times place within one post).:smile:

I wish to thank each of you for your contribution to this topic, remembering quite well that I didn't personally start. It was originally taken from another topic on this forum by someone other than myself. A sincere thank you to whoever you are!:biggrin: I'm always interested in a group dialogue that leads me toward something new that I haven't ever explored before that benefits me and hopefully other members.:smile:

Last edited:
ViewsofMars said:
It doesn't really matter to me if I get a title as I've noted other members have below their name.

You can be sure good posts will be not missed and witch each your chances for one of these titles go up. Most of us never posted to get recognized, just one day you are told "we think you are good enough to be a Science Advisor/Homework Helper". It always boosts your ego a little :wink:

I suspect that would be if a person has contributed thousands and thousands of times which resulted in a high post count?

Depends on the forum configuration. In most cases it is used just to limit amount of moderating work by limiting forum access for new users - they can't post links or images, or they can't post in some areas.

Borek said:
You can be sure good posts will be not missed and witch each your chances for one of these titles go up.
WITCH! :rofl: I promise not to cast a spell on you, Borek, because I'm against withchcraft. :rofl: Nor am I an evil, ugly, old hag. :wink: Didn't you mean to write the word "which" instead of witch?!

Borek said:
Most of us never posted to get recognized, just one day you are told "we think you are good enough to be a Science Advisor/Homework Helper". It always boosts your ego a little :wink:

Yes, I agree stroking an ego could be encouraging if you got a raise in position or purely for the sake of encouragement. Who are the elected that tell members that he/she is good enough to be a Science Advisor, Homework Helper, Mentor, etc.? What are the responsibilities and benefits of Mentor's, Science Advisors, and Homework Helpers? Can they delete and move posts? Can they edit within a post? Ban people? Naturally, they would help by posting to topics. I'm asking because I want to learn. There isn't any harm in doing that now is there?:wink:

Depends on the forum configuration. In most cases it is used just to limit amount of moderating work by limiting forum access for new users - they can't post links or images, or they can't post in some areas.

Ah, I see. Thanks! This has been a beneficial exchange. I appreciate your time and effort. I personally think that a touch of laughter is a key essential ingredient in a higher level of communication amidst friends as long as it doesn't distort the truth about science. Kidding around in regards to scientific issues can result in disastrous consequences as I think we both agree.

By the way, that's a cute avatar you have. Is it really YOU? What is that green stuff on your head? Hope you don't mind me asking. I've been thinking of putting up a look alike avatar of me in a space costume that I designed. I got first place.

Last edited:
ViewsofMars said:
Who are the elected that tell members that he/she is good enough to be a Science Advisor, Homework Helper, Mentor, etc.? What are the responsibilities and benefits of Mentor's, Science Advisors, and Homework Helpers? Can they delete and move posts? Can they edit within a post? Ban people?

See the library entry: Physics Forums Medals

ViewsofMars said:
Didn't you mean to write the word "which" instead of witch?!

Oops. Funny thing, I often have problems with grammar, but rarely with spelling. Call it a typo :wink:

By the way, that's a cute avatar you have. Is it really YOU? What is that green stuff on your head? Hope you don't mind me asking. I've been thinking of putting up a look alike avatar of me in a space costume that I designed. I got first place.

Yep, that's me in a green wig. Picture was taken during a party that we had almost exactly a year ago.

As dx posted link to the answer to your other questions, I won't delve into details. In short - Mentors can do everything, Homework Helpers and Science Advisors are just honorary titles. Perks are rather symbolic.

ViewsofMars said:
WITCH! :rofl: I promise not to cast a spell on you, Borek, because I'm against withchcraft. :rofl: Nor am I an evil, ugly, old hag. :wink: Didn't you mean to write the word "which" instead of witch?!

Borek meant to write neither "witch" nor "which." :biggrin:

I don't know which witch cast the spell that inserted the Great Big Sea.

1. How often is the post count updated on PhysicsForums - Mars?

The post count on PhysicsForums - Mars is updated once a day at midnight, Eastern Standard Time.

2. What factors contribute to the increase or decrease of the post count on PhysicsForums - Mars?

The post count on PhysicsForums - Mars is affected by the number of new posts, replies, and threads created by users on the forum. It can also decrease if posts are deleted by moderators or if users are banned.

3. Is there a limit to how many posts can be made on PhysicsForums - Mars?

There is no limit to the number of posts that can be made on PhysicsForums - Mars. As long as the forum is active and users continue to engage in discussions, the post count will continue to increase.

4. Can the post count on PhysicsForums - Mars be manually updated?

No, the post count on PhysicsForums - Mars is automatically updated by the forum's software. There is no way for users or moderators to manually update the post count.

5. Does the post count on PhysicsForums - Mars have any impact on the forum's ranking or reputation?

The post count on PhysicsForums - Mars is not directly linked to the forum's ranking or reputation. However, a high post count may indicate a active and engaged community, which can positively impact the forum's reputation and attract new users.