Exploring the Availability of Post Doc Funding

In summary: Assistantships usually come with a stipend that can cover your rent, food, and other basic living expenses. So if you're really interested in a career in academia, it might be worth looking into becoming an assistant ship instead of trying to get a graduate scholarship.
tgt
The following idea occurred to me:

It seems very hard to get scholarships into Primary and Secondary schools because everyone goes for them. And also very hard to get scholarships for undergraduate because of the small number of them avaliable and small number of universities. However, it's much easier to get graduate study scholarships mainly because not many people go for them and more are given. Does this trend continue for post doc positions? It would be salary instead of scholarship in the case of post doc but same sort of thing. Would it be even easier for docs to get funding for their post doc research to the point where almost any doc can find a position somewhere in the world?

Physics news on Phys.org
tgt said:
However, it's much easier to get graduate study scholarships mainly because not many people go for them and more are given.

Correction: It's hard to get graduate scholarships, but very easy to get assistant ship positions that sound a lot like undergraduate scholarships. The big difference, of course, is that assistant ships turn out to be fairly cheap labor for universities (though maybe not for society), while scholarships aren't.

In my discussions with people who were trying to get, or had gotten, postdocs, how hard it was to get them depended heavily on their area of interest. The theoretical HEP physics people found it borderline impossible, while some others (especially experimental materials/matter types) had a relatively easy time. My sample size is fairly small, but I'd be surprised if it didn't hold.

Locrian said:
Correction: It's hard to get graduate scholarships, but very easy to get assistant ship positions that sound a lot like undergraduate scholarships. The big difference, of course, is that assistant ships turn out to be fairly cheap labor for universities (though maybe not for society), while scholarships aren't.

In my discussions with people who were trying to get, or had gotten, postdocs, how hard it was to get them depended heavily on their area of interest. The theoretical HEP physics people found it borderline impossible, while some others (especially experimental materials/matter types) had a relatively easy time. My sample size is fairly small, but I'd be surprised if it didn't hold.

What do you mean by assistant ships? Are they for people with doc?

What would cheap labour involve?

tgt said:
What do you mean by assistant ships? Are they for people with doc?

What would cheap labour involve?

In most schools that offer grad programs, you can fund your graduate tuition by working as a teacher's assistant part time, or helping out with research on campus.

1. What types of funding are available for postdoctoral research?

There are several types of funding available for postdoctoral research, including institutional funding, individual fellowships, and grants from government agencies and private foundations. Institutional funding is provided by the university or research institution where the postdoc is conducted. Individual fellowships are awarded to postdocs based on their individual qualifications and proposed research project. Grants from government agencies and private foundations are also available, but typically require a competitive application process.

2. How do I find postdoc funding opportunities?

The best way to find postdoc funding opportunities is to search online databases and websites that specialize in funding for postdoctoral research. Many universities and research institutions also have resources and databases for finding funding opportunities. Additionally, networking with other researchers and attending conferences and workshops can also provide leads on potential funding sources.

3. What criteria do funders typically consider when awarding postdoc funding?

Funding agencies and foundations have different criteria for awarding postdoc funding, but some common factors include the qualifications and research experience of the applicant, the potential impact and relevance of the proposed research project, and the availability of funding. Other factors that may be considered include the applicant's career goals, diversity and inclusion efforts, and potential for collaboration with other researchers.

4. Can international researchers apply for postdoc funding?

Yes, international researchers are eligible to apply for postdoc funding, but the specific requirements and restrictions may vary depending on the funding source. Some funders may have specific eligibility criteria for international researchers, while others may have limitations on the types of research that can be conducted outside of the country. It is important to carefully review the guidelines and eligibility criteria for each funding opportunity before applying.

5. Are there any resources available for writing a successful postdoc funding proposal?

Yes, there are many resources available for writing a successful postdoc funding proposal. Many universities and research institutions offer workshops and training sessions on grant writing specifically for postdocs. Additionally, there are online resources and guides that provide tips and strategies for writing a strong proposal. It can also be helpful to seek feedback from colleagues and mentors who have successfully secured postdoc funding in the past.