Post Editing: Why Was My Thread Moved?

• Thread starter W3pcq
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a thread being moved to the end of a newer thread on the same topic and the confusion and frustration it caused for the speaker. They also discuss the search function not working well and the possibility of deleting their posts to avoid looking foolish. The mentors are considering the request to delete the posts.
W3pcq
what's up with moving my thread in skepticism and debunking to the end of a newer created thread on the exact same topic? Was this a mistake, or is there a reason. Usually you move a thread to a new category.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you got a link to the thread?

Never mind, I thought it was a newer thread, it's actually a thread from 06. I feel like an idiot, sorry for the waste of time. I guess it has already been debunked.

LOL! Nevermind.

I actually even did a search before posting, but nothing came up. I guess locked threads are filtered out. Was the thread from 06 locked and reopened with the addition of the posts in my thread? Why does it need to be locked anyways?

W3pcq said:
I actually even did a search before posting, but nothing came up. I guess locked threads are filtered out. Was the thread from 06 locked and reopened with the addition of the posts in my thread? Why does it need to be locked anyways?

The search function doesn't always work very well here. I assume that by your surprise, you didn't receive any warning or infraction for the post in question, which is probably because the related post was old enough that missing it in a search was a reasonable error. Google seems to be updating its index of our site almost instantly lately, so you can sometimes have better luck searching for old threads in google by specifying us as the site.

Last edited:
thanx

Actually, I would appreciate it if I could have my posts https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=123863&page=3 here deleted since adding them to the end of another thread puts my posts out of context and makes me look stupid. It is as if I read all the previous posts, which don't even come up in searches, and then responded when in reality I started a thread which was moved to the end of a new one.

W3pcq said:
Actually, I would appreciate it if I could have my posts https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=123863&page=3 here deleted since adding them to the end of another thread puts my posts out of context and makes me look stupid. It is as if I read all the previous posts, which don't even come up in searches, and then responded when in reality I started a thread which was moved to the end of a new one.

The mentors are considering/discussing your request. We'll get back to you on this.

1. Why was my thread moved to a different section?

Your thread was most likely moved to a different section because it did not fit within the original section's topic or guidelines. This is to ensure that all threads in a section are relevant and easy to find for other users.

2. Can I request for my thread to be moved back to its original section?

Yes, you can request for your thread to be moved back to its original section by contacting a moderator or administrator. However, please keep in mind that the decision to move a thread is based on the forum's guidelines and may not be reversed.

3. Will my thread lose its views and replies when it is moved?

No, your thread's views and replies will remain the same even after it has been moved to a different section. All of the thread's content will be transferred to the new section, so you won't lose any engagement or feedback.

4. How can I prevent my thread from being moved in the future?

To prevent your thread from being moved, make sure to read the forum's guidelines and post your thread in the most appropriate section. This will ensure that your thread stays in the right place and is easily accessible to other users.

5. Can I still edit my thread after it has been moved?

Yes, you can still edit your thread even after it has been moved to a different section. Editing your thread's content or title can help it better fit within the new section and increase its chances of being seen by other users.