Post Exam Anxiety: How Often Do You Have it?

In summary, after finishing exams, some people worry about the marks they will receive, while others worry about minor errors they have made in the past.
Hyperspace2
How often do you have post exam anxiety?

I have most often. After I give my exam , i keep on guessing the marks that i will score.
If the guess oscillates around pass marks, then it makes me more anxious and that harms other exam I give.

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe seeing a councelor or a therapist would do you some good. I'm not saying that you need it, but perhaps you do.

rhody said:
Hyper,

I hope you did well on your exam, in the end, what does worry accomplish ?
If you like, we would appreciate your vote in this thread here. https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=529253"

Rhody... :wink:

:wink: I think you mean "affective". I'd like to have an effective disorder - I bet it would be helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
lisab said:
:wink: I think you mean "affective". I'd like to have an effective disorder - I bet it would be helpful.
Lisa,

That's what I meant, typo, sorry... No flies on any of the crowd that hang here, that's for sure, I will go back and edit it as well.

Rhody...

I tend to worry a little obsessively about tests after I take them too. Thinking about questions I might have or know I did answer wrong, or realizing correct answers where I put something else or nothing. Fortunately it goes away after I get the exam back, so it's only a few days. Then there's the pre test anxiety... oh well.

Hyperspace2 said:
How often do you have post exam anxiety?

I have most often. After I give my exam , i keep on guessing the marks that i will score.
If the guess oscillates around pass marks, then it makes me more anxious and that harms other exam I give.

I forget everything about the exam once I finish my exam

The other day I turned in an exam and just as I was sitting it on my professors desk I realized that I did not re-substitute back in for u on an integral but it was too late to take it back!

It drove me absolutely crazy for for 3 straight days until I got the grade for it and he only took off one point for the error.

micromass said:
Maybe seeing a councelor or a therapist would do you some good. I'm not saying that you need it, but perhaps you do.

perhaps I need that .

It's my problem from high school.

my other problems are I make many minor errors. Can you imagine, in a math test I made minor calculation error that worth me 32 marks.

rhody said:
Hyper,

I hope you did well on your exam,
No I didn't. I am writing right after my 3rd exam out of my 7 exams ( engineering exams)
rhody said:
in the end, what does worry accomplish ?
I try to fill myself with same idea, but the at the end I go with my habit of anxiety.

This well-known short prayer comes to mind:

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference."

Religion aside, I think the sentiment is relevant. It's a nice word, serene. :)

1. What is post exam anxiety?

Post exam anxiety is a psychological condition that occurs after taking an exam. It is characterized by feelings of stress, worry, and fear regarding the results of the exam.

2. How common is post exam anxiety?

Post exam anxiety is a common experience among students and can affect individuals of any age or academic level. However, the severity and frequency of post exam anxiety may vary from person to person.

3. What are the symptoms of post exam anxiety?

Symptoms of post exam anxiety may include racing thoughts, difficulty concentrating, physical tension, restlessness, and irritability. Some individuals may also experience difficulty sleeping or changes in appetite.

4. How long does post exam anxiety last?

The duration of post exam anxiety can vary depending on the individual and the circumstances surrounding the exam. In most cases, it typically lasts for a few days to a week after the exam. However, for some individuals, it may persist for a longer period of time.

5. What can I do to cope with post exam anxiety?

Some strategies for coping with post exam anxiety include practicing relaxation techniques, such as deep breathing or meditation, engaging in physical activity, talking to a trusted friend or family member, and seeking support from a mental health professional if needed.