Post-grad advice for current undergrad physics student please

In summary, you are considering two career paths: teaching physics in high school and getting an MBA to work in business. While teaching requires a teaching certification and possibly a graduate degree, an MBA can open up opportunities in various industries, including science-related fields. Both options have their pros and cons, and it ultimately depends on your personal interests and goals. I hope this information helps you make the best decision for your future. Best of luck to you!
WalterND14
Hello,
I'm a rising junior at Notre Dame, and I'm trying decide between two (maybe three?) career paths. There are some really knowledgeable people on here, so I wanted to ask for your advice in which path I should take.
A little background: I took physics because I've always had a fascination with science, and physics seemed most apt at feeding my interests in science. I am not, however, the most brilliant mathematician or physicist, and so I'm not going to pursue a phd in the subject. I love the material, but some of the advanced stuff starts to go over my head...
Anyways, I've looked at options for careers for people with a BS in physics, and I've decided on two as my favorite choices:

The first option is to teach physics in high school (I think I'm best suited to teach students older than those in middle school, but maybe I'm wrong?). My brother is currently in high school physics, and I tutor him weekly. I've tutored before, and I really like helping kids learn skills and concepts which they can apply for the rest of their lives. I also find physics to be fascinating, and, after going through my brother's whole year of physics, have decided that I want to teach because other teachers, like my brother's, teach physics in such an flat, boring way which doesn't give kids the insights into the world they should.
My questions regarding teaching are: 1) do I need a graduate degree (it seems like I do, and I'm not against getting one). If I do, will the money I make working as a teacher pay back the cost of the degree (I am very interested in teaching, but I'm not in being burdened with lots of debt).
2) What are the best ways to start preparing now (as a rising junior) so that when I'm a teacher approx 4 years from now I'll be able to teach decently from the get-go?
3) Is there anything any of you as teachers of physics can tell me about what I should expect? What's great/bad about doing it?

The second option is to work in business. I'm thinking this means getting an MBA, as well as perhaps a masters in another field to supplement it. For example, one university offers a dual-degree program where I would receive an MBA and a MS in engineering in 3 years. I really like that, as I could (hopefully) stay in science while working in business. My university also offers a program where I can start work on the MBA as a senior, allowing me to earn the MBA after only one additional year.
So, my questions are: 1) Is this a viable route? Especially the MBA and MS program?
2) Would having an MBA and a BS in physics make me stand out?
3) Would I still be able to work in science-related field? I love science, but I'm just not proficient enough at it and dedicated enough to get a phd in physics, so this seems like a good compromise.

I appreciate you reading and taking the time to respond to my post. If you can only reply to part of it, that's still great! Anything (experience, information, etc) you could share with me is much appreciated.

TL;DR: I'm pursuing a BS in physics, and I'm trying to decide between being a physics teacher and getting an MBA and working in business. What are the pros and cons of each?
Thanks,
Walter

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Walter,

Thank you for reaching out for advice on your career options. I am a scientist with a PhD in physics and have experience in both teaching and working in the business world. I hope my insights can help you make an informed decision.

First of all, I want to commend you for your passion for science and your dedication to exploring different career paths. It takes a lot of courage and self-awareness to consider different options and choose the one that best suits your interests and skills.

Regarding your first option of teaching physics in high school, I believe it is a noble and fulfilling career choice. Teaching is a crucial profession and it requires a lot of dedication and hard work. In terms of qualifications, most states in the US require a teaching certification to teach in public schools. This typically requires a Bachelor's degree in education or a teaching certification program. However, some states also offer alternative certification programs for individuals with a Bachelor's degree in a related field, such as physics. I would recommend researching the specific requirements in your state to determine the best path for you. As for the cost of a graduate degree, it can vary depending on the institution and program. I would suggest looking into scholarship and financial aid options to help with the cost.

To prepare for a career in teaching, I would recommend taking education courses and getting experience with teaching or tutoring, as you have already been doing with your brother. You could also reach out to physics teachers in your area and ask if you can observe their classes or assist them in any way. This will give you valuable insights into the profession and help you develop your teaching skills.

As for what to expect as a physics teacher, I can tell you from my experience that it is a challenging yet rewarding job. It requires patience, creativity, and the ability to communicate complex concepts in a way that students can understand. The best part is seeing your students develop a love for physics and the joy of learning. However, it can also be demanding and require a lot of time and effort outside of the classroom. Overall, it is a fulfilling career choice for those who are passionate about education and science.

Moving on to your second option of working in business, I believe it is also a viable route for someone with a BS in physics. An MBA can open up opportunities in various industries, including science-related fields. It can also be a valuable asset to have in your career, as it provides a strong foundation in business principles and management skills. As for the dual

1. How do I decide which graduate school to attend?

When choosing a graduate school, it is important to consider factors such as the program's reputation, faculty members and their research interests, funding opportunities, location, and potential for networking and career opportunities. It is recommended to research and compare multiple schools and speak with current students or alumni to get a better understanding of the program.

2. What can I do to stand out on my graduate school application?

To stand out on your graduate school application, it is important to have a strong academic record, including a high GPA and relevant coursework. You should also participate in research projects, internships, and extracurricular activities related to your field of study. Additionally, obtaining strong letters of recommendation and writing a compelling personal statement are crucial for a successful application.

3. Is it necessary to have a specific research area in mind for graduate school?

While it is not necessary to have a specific research area in mind, it can be beneficial to have a general idea of your interests and potential research topics. This can help you choose a program and advisor that aligns with your interests and goals. However, it is also common for students to explore different research areas during their graduate studies.

4. What is the difference between a Master's and a PhD in physics?

A Master's degree in physics typically involves a combination of coursework and research, and can be completed in 2-3 years. A PhD in physics, on the other hand, is a more research-intensive degree that typically takes 5-6 years to complete. A PhD also requires a dissertation and often involves teaching and publishing research papers.

5. What are some career options for physics graduates?

Physics graduates have a wide range of career opportunities, including research and development in academia, government, or industry; teaching at the high school or college level; data analysis and consulting; engineering; and science communication. Additionally, skills gained from a physics degree, such as problem-solving and critical thinking, are highly valued in many industries, making physics graduates versatile and in-demand.