Lost Post Frustration: How to Avoid Losing Your Work While Writing Online

• Praise
  • Thread starter PatrickPowers
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses various methods for avoiding the loss of typed messages on the forum, such as quickly posting before being logged out or using an external text editor. It is suggested to use a "Remember me" option when logging in and to save posts in drafts or as a backup in case of a crash. Some users also recommend using an advanced editor or previewing posts before submitting to avoid losing content. Additionally, it is mentioned that going back to the previous page in the browser can sometimes retrieve lost content.
PatrickPowers
So I spent much time writing my careful post. I spent so much time that evidently the system had logged me out, so it demanded I log in again. I did so, and was rewarded with a blank white screen. My email was lost.

I guess the lesson is to write the message in an editor and post it quickly, before the system gets bored with me and trashes my work.

Physics news on Phys.org
Next time check if going back to the previous page in your browser doesn't help - most browsers remember the content of the edit fields in such situations.

I think you can also log in and tick "Remember me" box - you don't risk being logged out. It may be not an option if you are using a shared computer.

I seem to get that a lot on my internet connection (in this and other fora). [fora?]

You might note that if you hit 'new reply' you get a unique url. If you crash out, if you then browse back to that url then it will have preserved some of you text. Usually not all of it, though, it seems to depend when it did its last 'save'.

If you had typed text into the 'quick reply', then kiss your words goodbye!

(Before you hit 'send', do ctrl-a then ctrl-c each time, then you can always reprint your words with ctrl-v even hours later, so long as you've copied nothing further into the system's text buffer.)

Patrick,

I long ago learned to save PF posts in my Drafts email, I use google, gmail, that way where ever you go you have them. It takes a few seconds to select all, copy and paste into a Draft e-mail followed by Save. This approach works for me and is simple.

Rhody... :approve:

Last edited:
Many a time I've been typing a long and detailed response when something (computer crash, alien invasion etc) would happen to loose it. Consequently I often copy my responses as I go and if they are quite long regularly copy them to a word doc.

If a post is going to be more than a couple of paragraphs, has lots of equations, or I have to do some research while writing it, I write it in a simple text editor (TextEdit which all Macs have; equivalent in Windows would be Notepad, I think), save it into a file, then copy and paste into PF's message-composition window.

I don't remember using any additional editor - ever. And I don't remember losing any post as well. At least under Opera getting back works always.

Well, when the browser crashes it doesn't work. But it happens so rarely I don't care (and I don't think Opera is more stable than other browsers).

Borek said:
I don't remember using any additional editor - ever. And I don't remember losing any post as well. At least under Opera getting back works always.

Well, when the browser crashes it doesn't work. But it happens so rarely I don't care (and I don't think Opera is more stable than other browsers).

How do you do this?
I am on Opera and I lose my posts. I have learned to write them, copy and then try to post. I then have to log in again and paste and then post.

I am just going back in history - and the content I entered is still in the edit field.

Edit: now that I think about it I realized there is a moment when the content can be still lost - quick post and edits are done without going to different url. But in my experience any serious post requires advanced editor and/or using preview - and in such case I don't remember losing anything.

1. How can I avoid losing my work while writing online?

One way to avoid losing your work while writing online is to save your work frequently. This can be done by using the save function in your writing platform or by using keyboard shortcuts such as Ctrl + S (Windows) or Command + S (Mac).

2. Is it important to have a backup plan for my online writing?

Yes, it is important to have a backup plan for your online writing in case of technical issues or accidental loss of work. This can include saving your work to a cloud storage service or regularly emailing yourself a copy of your work.

3. What should I do if my writing platform crashes while I am working?

If your writing platform crashes while you are working, first try to reopen the program and see if your work was automatically saved. If not, check your computer's "Autosave" folder for a recent version of your work. If all else fails, try using a data recovery program to retrieve your lost work.

4. Can I prevent losing my work due to internet connection issues?

Yes, you can prevent losing your work due to internet connection issues by using a writing platform that has an offline mode. This will allow you to save your work locally until you are able to connect to the internet and sync your work to the cloud.

5. Are there any other tips for avoiding lost post frustration?

Along with saving your work frequently and having a backup plan, it is also important to regularly update your writing platform and keep your internet connection stable. You can also consider using a distraction-free writing environment or using a writing platform that has an automatic save feature.