Can you calculate the total mass of three parcels at a post office?

In summary, at a post office, there are three parcels of different masses. The mass of the first parcel is y grams. The mass of the second parcel is 500 grams greater than that of the first parcel. The third parcel is 210 grams lighter than the first parcel.
Johnx1
At a post office, there are three parcels of different masses. The mass of the first parcel is y grams. The mass of the second parcel is 500 grams greater than that of the first parcel. The third parcel is 210 grams lighter than the first parcel.

a) Find the total mass, in grams, of the three parcels in terms of y.

My answer: y + (y + 500) + (y - 210) = 3y + 290b) the total mass of the three parcels is 2kg. find the mass of each parcel in grams.

my answer: 2000 = 3y + 290.

1st = 570
2nd = 1070
3rd = 360

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Johnx said:
At a post office, there are three parcels of different masses. The mass of the first parcel is y grams. The mass of the second parcel is 500 grams greater than that of the first parcel. The third parcel is 210 grams lighter than the first parcel.

a) Find the total mass, in grams, of the three parcels in terms of y.

My answer: y + (y + 500) + (y - 210) = 3y + 290b) the total mass of the three parcels is 2kg. find the mass of each parcel in grams.

1st = 570
2nd = 1070
3rd = 360

Looks good! (Yes)

My criticism would be that you have an equation in "y" without saying what "y" represents! You are taking y to be the weight, in grams, of the first package but you should say that. Further you jump immediately to the answer
1st = 570
2nd = 1070
3rd = 360
without showing any work. Can we assume that you showed your work on the paper you turned in?

Country Boy said:
without showing any work. Can we assume that you showed your work on the paper you turned in?
Im actually too old to be a school student :-)

Country Boy said:
My criticism would be that you have an equation in "y" without saying what "y" represents! You are taking y to be the weight, in grams, of the first package but you should say that.

The problem states:

Johnx said:
The mass of the first parcel is y grams.

I completely missed that! But I did get a chance to be a curmudgeon.

1. How do you determine the total mass of the three parcels?

To determine the total mass, you need to know the weight of each parcel. You can then add the weights together to find the total mass.

2. What is the unit of measurement for the total mass?

The unit of measurement for the total mass is grams, as specified in the problem.

3. What role does "y" play in the word problem?

"y" is a variable that represents the weight of one of the parcels. It is used to express the total mass in terms of the weight of one parcel.

4. Can you provide an example of how to solve this word problem?

For example, if the weights of the three parcels are 10 grams, 15 grams, and 20 grams, the total mass would be 10 + 15 + 20 = 45 grams. In terms of "y", the total mass would be 3y, since there are three parcels with a weight of "y".

5. Are there any other factors that could affect the total mass of the three parcels?

Yes, there could be additional factors such as packaging materials or added weight from labels or stamps. However, for the purposes of this word problem, we are assuming that the only factor is the weight of the parcels themselves.