What's the Story Behind This Old Poster?

• Thread starter Willowz
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around an old poster that was found and shared for amusement. The group discussed the meaning of the poster and how it was used for propaganda during WWII. The poster was also referenced in a modern context, as it was used as inspiration for a poster for a local sports team. The conversation ended with a humorous interpretation of the poster's message.
Willowz
I just saw this old poster. I had a chuckle.

Ride_with_hitler.jpg

I'm sure some of you have plenty of this.

Oh, and it'd be fun if you could explain the meaning of the previous poster just off the top of your head.

Physics news on Phys.org
[PLAIN]http://www.wwii-collectibles.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/uspaf265.jpg
That's a doozie.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually gave this one to my daughter to post in her college dorm room :biggrin:.

grow-hemp-for-the-war.jpg

Willowz said:
Oh, and it'd be fun if you could explain the meaning of the previous poster just off the top of your head.

I would imagine it was aimed at conserving fuel needed for the war.

Here's one similar to Willowz's

united_we_will_win_lg.jpg

Interestingly, A local graphics artist has borrowed on some of this old propaganda posters( the one above included) as posters for the Timbers, our MLS team.

This is what he did with this one:

28unitedwearestrong.jpg

The symbols represent the different sections making up the "Timber's Army".

20372.jpg

It's pretty interesting how they targeted the audience back then.

I am an old poster,

Willowz said:
20372.jpg

It's pretty interesting how they targeted the audience back then.
I'm not sure, but something like
Shame on you chatterbox! The enemy is listening. Silence is mandatory.

Andre said:
I am an old poster,

:rofl:

1. What is the significance of this old poster?

The significance of an old poster can vary depending on the context in which it was created. It could be a representation of a historical event, a form of propaganda, or simply a piece of art. It is important to research the time period and cultural influences surrounding the poster to understand its significance.

2. How old is this poster?

The age of a poster can be determined by examining its design, materials, and historical context. For example, if the poster uses outdated language or references events from a specific time period, it can help pinpoint an approximate age. However, it is important to note that some posters may have been reproduced or altered over time, making their age more difficult to determine.

3. Who created this poster?

The creator of a poster can often be identified by looking for a signature or logo on the poster itself. If this information is not available, research on the time period and style of the poster can help narrow down potential creators. It is also possible that the poster was created anonymously or as a collaboration between multiple artists.

4. What was the purpose of this poster?

The purpose of a poster can vary depending on its creator and context. Some posters may have been created for advertising or promotional purposes, while others may have been used for political or social messaging. Examining the design, imagery, and text on the poster can provide clues about its intended purpose.

5. Is this poster valuable?

The value of a poster can be subjective and depends on factors such as its rarity, condition, and historical significance. Some old posters may be valuable to collectors, while others may hold more sentimental value to individuals. It is important to consult with experts or conduct research to determine the value of a specific poster.