1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schools Post the Funnest/Hardest Academic Semester you had in university

1. Jun 17, 2005 #1
    Mine would be 3rd year 1-2 term and 4th year term 1

3.1 Funnest/Hardest-(woke up at 9am and slept at like 3am)
    Computer Graphics
    Neuropsych I
    Astrophysics: Stellar
    Quantum I
    Probability Theory
    Number Theory

3.2 Easiest
    Theory of Computation
    Automata and Language Theory
    Computational Geometry
    Psych Modelling Project: Reinforcement Learning

4.1 Would have been my funnest
    AI(worse course I ever took/teacher was bad but other courses were good)
    Neuropsych II
    Math Phys
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2005 #2
    Mmm, hardest?

Last year undergraduate, double major physics/mathematics

Fuctional Analysis
    Statistics, Probability & Measure theory
    Analytical Mechanics
    Intro to Quantum Mechanics
    Special Relativity & Electrodynamics
    Numerical Analysis
    Intro to astronomy
    Advanced labwork

Nearly killed me, but I survived :biggrin:
  4. Jun 20, 2005 #3
    You took ALL of those during the same semester? Or are you talking about an academic year?
  5. Jun 20, 2005 #4
    ok, lets see:

Calculus 2
    Algebra based physics 2 (someone told me that you couldn't pass calculus based physics 2 without taking calculus 2, total BS BTW)
    Biochemistry 2
    biochemistry lab
    gross anatomy + lab
    organic chemistry lab
    a public speaking class
    intro to native American literature

Pile on top of that:
    working 30 hours per week
    6+ hours per week training and competing in MA
    spending 6 hours per week in a MCAT prep course
    spending 10+ hours per week studying for the MCAT itself for the following spring

OH YEA, and the ultimate "in your face"
    Fiancée of 2.5 years dumped me for a 42 year old, lazy, part time substitute school teacher who managed to lose $200k day trading in the stock market in about 6 months. The reason for the dumping??? I didn't know to get her moose tracks ice cream while watching movies, so I couldn't possible "KNOW" her like he does.

About half way through that semester, I just stopped going to class or showing up for tests. I took the MCAT the following spring and scored a 32, not bad considering. I got a full time job and had to work for 5 years before I realized what a huge mistake I had made by leaving school.

WOW, as painful as that was to type, I feel oddly better.
  6. Jun 20, 2005 #5

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You were dumped over ice cream? I think that guy did you a favor. :wink:
  7. Jun 20, 2005 #6
    One semester. If you add up the hours, it basically amounted to the amount of coursework one normally does in a year.

I'm really looking forward to my next semester, though

A course on integral equations
    Elementary Particles Theory (standard model)
    QFT (path integral formalism)
    General Relativity
  8. Jun 20, 2005 #7
    damn 10 courses in one semester? even engineers don't take that much. how did you fit in all the exams?
  9. Jun 21, 2005 #8
    I spent a year at our military academy.

On top of 25 odd contact hours (Aero eng), I had 8 hours of military classes (leadership etc), 2 hours of drill and several hours of just random ****.

Couple that with all the other things that go along with it, like keeping rooms perfect, perfect uniforms etc, it was probably my hardest year. I had no desire to stay in the RAAF, so now Im out enjoying civvy uni.

10. Jun 21, 2005 #9
    Physicists are tougher then engineers :tongue2:

Well, over here we have a three week exam period. Also, numerical analys didn't have an exam, just projects. I managed to do my thermo and astro exams before the official examinations period as well. You can get away with alot if you're a little creative...
  11. Jun 21, 2005 #10
    Ha! And here I am questioning whether 5 math classes, with nothing else, will be too much in one semester! Yeah you guys are insane :smile:
  12. Jun 21, 2005 #11
    Well in one year I had to do the remaining halves of 2 full language degrees, finish a degree in mathematics and applied physics and also do training for the army.

I had literally not 1 day off for 6months.

13. Jun 21, 2005 #12
    I've found that not having a single day off is what really burns me out when I pulling insane hours like 80+ per week. I could stand working 13.5 hours per day, 6 days a week, a lot longer then I could do 11.5 hours per day 7 days a week.
  14. Jun 21, 2005 #13
    Mine toughest was last semester (spring) and this one (summer).

Diff Eq
    PHY II with lab
    ENGR designing with autocad (loads of homework)
    Writing class

Add to that 40 hrs/week of work.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?