Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Post Your Desktop

1. Nov 29, 2003 #1

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Remember to keep the picture size small and use compression if your uploading to physicsforums. No 1600x1600 bmps.

For those who don't know how to take a screenshot in windows, press the Print Scrn button located to the upper right of the backspace. Then go into paint or your favorite drawing application and paste the picture. Save as JPEG or PNG.

Linux users can use the screen capture tool located in the graphics folder with the gimp.

Happy Posting!

--------------------------------

Here is my desktop:

http://umsis.miami.edu/~dduardo/desktop.png

Redhat 9
    KDE 3.1
    Window Decoration: IceWM - Acqua
    Icons: Connectiva Crystal - MacOSX
    Super Karamba - Liquid Weather , Evolution Biff , skRSSreader, Micromon
    Winamp: xTunes

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2003 #2

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Doesn't anyone have a pretty desktop they want to show the world :frown:

4. Dec 1, 2003 #3
    my current desktop at home:

Attached Files:

5. Dec 1, 2003 #4

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Very nice. A Mac user.

By the way, I go to UM.

6. Dec 1, 2003 #5
    cool . . . i use a PC all day long at work, so at home i prefer a Mac.

i've been on the UM campus only once, to see coldplay when they were in miami 6 months or so ago . . .

7. Dec 1, 2003 #6
  8. Dec 2, 2003 #7
    Cool desktop. Where did you get that picture?

What is all that text...were you programming at the time?

And, heh, what OS were you running? I've only used Windows (95, 98, 98 SE, XP).

9. Dec 3, 2003 #8
    here is mine

Attached Files:

10. Dec 3, 2003 #9
    Here is mine.........Has a lot of sentimental value

Attached Files:

11. Dec 3, 2003 #10
    I would like to find out where you all go some of your wallpaper ... They are COOOL!

12. Dec 3, 2003 #11

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

13. Dec 3, 2003 #12
  14. Dec 4, 2003 #13
    Well, I'm running the window manager called Window Maker on top of Debian Linux on my old x86 333MHz machine which I had used as a workstation before moving to one of my Ultra 5s, leaving the Debian box as a firewall only. It's a relatively old picture as one can see the Jakarta Tomcat version is old and I'm still running Netscape.

In one window, I was looking over some old code written by another group of open source coders for a streaming media framework, (hence references to the RTP protocol in the code) so that I could see how it worked. This project (www.danubio.org), btw, has been resurrected with newer running versions of the code.

In another window I was viewing a Tomcat configuration file so that I could run a Java servlet framework on my internal site and in another window I'm running my mail client, Mutt (www.mutt.org).

The background jpeg came from a themes package created solely for WindowMaker. I downloaded it from http://themes.freshmeat.net/browse/918/?topic_id=918, but the main site is www.themes.org where they feature themes that other people have put together for various UNIX window managers such as Window Maker, Enlightenment, Afterstep, Blackbox, KDE, Sawfish,...etc.
    I prefer WindowMaker as its very similar to the old NeXTSTEP GUI interface.

The picture in the background is dubbed "Giger Li" by H.R. Giger.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2003
  15. Dec 4, 2003 #14
  16. Dec 4, 2003 #15

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

yes, win - zip, ace, rar, etc all decompress tgz archives.

redrogue, that is a pretty old desktop. I remember when my dad ran window maker on his old unix machine back in the day.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2003
  17. Dec 4, 2003 #16
    this is a pretty old site, but i love it: www.webshots.com

they r just good pictures.

i'll get some website later to post it too!

18. Dec 4, 2003 #17

I agree WindowMaker has barely changed since its inception and I run it out of habit because I like its simplicity and relatively small footprint compared to the likes of Enlightenment. I know there are newer and lighter window managers, but I use this one out of habit. I do need to expand my collection of themes, though ..they are dated.

I sort of like the "old school" look despite being a Gen-Xer.

19. Dec 5, 2003 #18

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Mine is the coolest of them all :)

Attached Files:

20. Dec 5, 2003 #19

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Btw, that is from DeviantART too :)

as you can guess, the name of the wallpaper is strange_beauty_strange_beauty I tried searching their website for a link, but they are too busy and have dedicated their bandwith to their subscribers for the time being.. it is a real good site :)

21. Dec 5, 2003 #20

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?