What classes are you taking for Fall 2009?

In summary: Might be worth looking into.In summary, this person's 2009 schedule includes taking eight classes, including one physics and one astrophysics class. They recommend buying a book about astrophysics to self-study. They also advise students to be diligent in their English classes.
mg0stisha said:
The Logic of Chess (Math Elective!)

:!)

Physics news on Phys.org
Feldoh said:
Seems like a bit much, but you might be able to pull it off. Taking foreign languages are a MAJOR time sink. That's not to say that they are not useful, they are, but it takes a lot of time to memorize and speak.

It's more important to be able to think like a computer more than to program in just C++. Once you've learned to think like a computer when it comes to algorithms and such it becomes quite a bit easier to teach yourself any language you need to learn (fortran, python, c, java, c++, etc...)

haha
thanks!
yeah I am quite worrying for the class... because I planed to minor in math as well (that implies that I have to take over 10 main crouses in math and physics for my year two)

so just sitting in class, since I am pretty dumb at computer, will do? (a bad GPA will damage my chance to get into a good grad school?)

English is my second lauaguage, haha students in asia are forced to take english for practics's sake. And I really spend a lot of time on it! (fortunately, I found the fun part of it)

-Physics I: Mechanics And Special Relativity (Kleppner and Kolenkow)
-Object-Oriented Programming And Data Structures
-Multivariable Calculus
-Introductory Design And Programming For The Web
-Visual Imaging And The Electronic Age
-Freshman Writing Seminar

Too much for a freshman? The other posters in this thread seem to be taking 4-5 hardcore math/science courses...

I've got (as a 2nd year engineering physics student):

-Numerical methods (appears from the description to be a mis-mash of a lot of different things I've already encountered in first year courses, but who knows)
-Circuits and signals
-Multivariable calculus
-Modern physics I ("a logical transition from classical to modern physics" and all that that entails)
-Data structures and algorithms (design of computer programs, which have data structures and algorithms in them)

I don't know yet what my textbooks will be for these courses.

Tentative schedule:
Harmonic Analysis.
Quantum Theory 2.
PDE 1.
Hilbert Spaces.
Analytical Electromagnetism.
Lab b1.

Before that I thought of taking Several Complex Variables, but rethink it, I too don't need the stress, even more so cause I know I can learn this stuff with textbooks instead with a lecturer.

Classes :yuck:

Calculus w/Analytic Geometry III
Linear Algebra w/Applications
Honors Physics II and Lab
Honors International Relations

Between this and major involvement in the campus and two very busy clubs, plus applying to four-year universities (I'm a sophomore in the community college system), this will be a study on just how suited I am to the demanding life of a physicist/nuclear engineer :cool:

Real Analysis of Several Variables - prof's notes
Complex Analysis - Conway
General Relativity - Schutz
PDEs - Habermann, and Bender and Orszag

While most people are worrying if they're taking too much, I kinda feel like my work load is a bit light. What do you guys think?

wierd, in australia the standard is 4 units per semester (12 weeks) and you have to get faculty permission to do 5.

We're on the quarter system here (3 quarters per year, 10 weeks per class) and we also have to get permission to take more than 4 courses per quarter. Anyways tentatively, my schedule looks like this:

Honors Analysis in R^n - likely a text by Paul Sally and Kolmogorov/Fomin's introductory analysis
Economic Analysis (microecon with math)
Statistical Theory I
America In World Civilization (or something to that effect)

The civilization sequence is the last of my core education requirements. I'll be taking more economics related courses than math courses, but judging by the difficulty of the analysis course, the math course can easily take more effort per week than the rest of the courses combined.

here's what mines probably going to look like

circuits 2
electronics+lab
fields and wave (ee version of the physics major 2 semester E&M course)
modern physics+lab

my ee curriculum says I could change 2 classes to technical electives so I'm wanting to do modern physics (considering just dropping it for more ee classes though); the only thing that sucks is that they all fall on the same day so that means all 4 of these finals would be one right after the other; on top of that I'm also wondering if I could fit another class to get more work done in one semester what do you guys think?

• Mechanics - Halliday
  • Linear Algebra - ?
  • English
Being in my mid 50s, three classes per semester and working full time is about my limit.

MathematicalPhysicist said:
Tentative schedule:
Harmonic Analysis.
Quantum Theory 2.
PDE 1.
Hilbert Spaces.
Analytical Electromagnetism.
Lab b1.

Before that I thought of taking Several Complex Variables, but rethink it, I too don't need the stress, even more so cause I know I can learn this stuff with textbooks instead with a lecturer.

Wow! You live up to your name!

Here's my classes - books:
Dif Eq's - Boyce
Classical mechanics (second year physics)- Morin
Intro to nuclear engineering - not too sure
linear algebra - Not sure as well

I'm thinking about signing up for some general required course, but I think that 5 classes in a quarter might be pushing it.

SpiffyKavu said:
The Solar System
Thermo/Stat Mech
Quantum Mechanics II
Differential Geometry

Four classes seems to be my limit. I tried five last semester, and it didn't go too well. I still easily passed all my classes, but I did not like the stress.

This semester, though, I am also planning to do an honors thesis in astronomy. I still have to choose a faculty mentor, though. I will likely also have to get a job to pay for rent.

Cool semester.
Is "the Solar System" a lower level course? I've never heard an upper level course with such a general term.
Either way, I got a nerd boner looking at your schedule.

Troponin said:
Cool semester.
Is "the Solar System" a lower level course? I've never heard an upper level course with such a general term.
Either way, I got a nerd boner looking at your schedule.

Nah, The Solar System is a senior level course. It is not my area of interest in astronomy, but the professor is fantastic, so I couldn't pass it up. Course description: Formation and evolution of the Solar System. Planetary surfaces, interiors, atmospheres, and magnetospheres. Asteroids, comets, planetary satellites, and ring systems. Emphasis on using basic physics to understand observed properties of the Solar System. Intended for students majoring in the physical sciences.

I had a better schedule when I took high energy astrophysics, though.
And differential geometry is a senior level course, but I got the feeling that it is not going to be proof based. Over the past two years, there are 70% A's. Either there has been a lot of brilliant students, or that is kind of messed up.

SpiffyKavu said:
Nah, The Solar System is a senior level course. It is not my area of interest in astronomy, but the professor is fantastic, so I couldn't pass it up. Course description: Formation and evolution of the Solar System. Planetary surfaces, interiors, atmospheres, and magnetospheres. Asteroids, comets, planetary satellites, and ring systems. Emphasis on using basic physics to understand observed properties of the Solar System. Intended for students majoring in the physical sciences.

I had a better schedule when I took high energy astrophysics, though.
And differential geometry is a senior level course, but I got the feeling that it is not going to be proof based. Over the past two years, there are 70% A's. Either there has been a lot of brilliant students, or that is kind of messed up.

Cool. I actually have "intro to sky and solar system" this fall. Mine appears to be VERY intro though. It is for an Astronomy minor...I think the department ran out of courses and added that one to the minor requirements. It is listed as a general course without much mathematics. I hope I enjoy it, but I figure at least it won't be too difficult.

I'm a transfer student to a new University. I am also taking Vector Calc/Complex variables this fall. It is a 500 level course, and I believe it is even a higher level than Differential Geometry...I'm confused with what to expect in that course as well as I can't imagine the school expecting you to wait until Senior year to learn about vectors and complex variables. lol
I suppose I'll find out what to expect soon enough though.

Good luck in Differential Geometry! I'm planning to take that this winter. It's one class I'm particularly excited for.

-Partial Differential Equations
-Concepts in Abstract Mathematics
-Thermal Physics
-Mechanics: from Oscillations to Chaos
-Fundamental Physics Laboratory

Not particularly looking forward to any of these; my spring schedule is looking much better, with an intro to quantum course, E&M, intro to real analysis, complex variables, and history and philosophy of sciences after 1700. Might replace real analysis with differential geometry, but I hear that will be covered adequately in GR in a couple years.

Advanced E&M - Balanis
Communication and Signal Theory - Forgot the Book
Intro To Biomedical Engineering - Vander's Human Physiology
Intro to Short Story-lol
Undergrad Research-Professor Buma

Hope the semester isn't too tough. Advanced E&M Is a grad class. I'm going to be a senior.

-Waves and Oscillations
-Physics Lab
-Biology lab
-Biology II
-Organic Chemistry I
-Intro nuclear engineering
-Vector Calculus.

Yaaay!

-Classical Mechanics III (standard Lagrangian/Hamiltonian mechanics)
-Electromagnetism II (using Griffiths)
-Algebra I (linear algebra and group theory, taught by Artin!)
-Design and Analysis of Algorithms
-Techniques of 20th Century Music Composition

Getting psyched!

mvantuyl said:
  • Mechanics - Halliday
  • Linear Algebra - ?
  • English
Being in my mid 50s, three classes per semester and working full time is about my limit.

Hey congratz, that's awesome!

I completely agree with the above statement! What motivated you to get back into school?

Differential Equations
Engineering Circuits II
Electromagnetism I
Engineering Statics
Microeconomics

Is this too much, too little, or just right? How would you rate the rigor in a graduate admission committees perspective?

Fall 2009 (18 credit hrs)

Real Analysis I
Complex Analysis
Probability Theory
Chemistry II
Physics E&M
Research (Group Theory/Symmetry Studies)

Ah, I am but a high school senior... :-/
Fortunetely I will be going to a magnet school for half the day, which is really awesome cause there are opportunities for independent studies with the math/physics teachers there.

AP Government and Politics
AP English Literature
Chinese 3
Engineering Design and Development (a capstone engineering course)

then at the Magnet School

Physics C Mechanics (pretty much stuff I already covered in my engineering courses...)
Physics C E&M ( somewhat excited) 1/2 year
Multivariable Calculus (I know most of it, but it will be nice to take the course) 1/2 year
Discrete Math 1/2 year
So I will have room for an independent study about complex analysis I hope!

I'm taking

Calculus 2(Integral calculus)(leithold and spivak)
Experimental physics 1 (Colin Cooke and many guide's)
General mechanics 1 (halliday and Alonso-Finn)
Linear algebra and differential equations (for linear algebra Friedberg and Shilov; for dif.eq. Dennis G. Zill)

Second year
Quarter System

Analytical Geometry and Calculus IV (4 credits, Larson/Hostetler/Edwards)
Principles of Physics (4 credits, Calc-based, lab)
Engineering Mechanics (3 credits)
Violin (1 credit)
Organ (0 credit)
String ensemble of some sort... to keep music minor status/scholarship.
2 credit GS class.

Clearly, this is a typical sophomore pre-med student's class schedule.

mg0stisha said:
I completely agree with the above statement! What motivated you to get back into school?

I've been working (drudging) as a software developer for the last 35 or so years and decided it's about time to decide what I want to be when I grow up.

Biochemistry
Electromagnetism Lab I
Partial DIff EQ
Calculus III
Intro Hist II
Latin II
2 Hours Special Project
1 Hour Research

Formal Languages and Automata Theory
Program Design and Development
Multivariable Calculus
Introduction to Probability and Statistics
Introductory Psychology

I'll be a junior. Horrible planning and indecisiveness accounts for me taking a couple of freshman/sophomore level classes.

Digital Systems
Electric Networks
Differential Equations and Vector Calculus
Solid State Physics
Hopefully Graph theory

CS - Designing Functional Programs
ECON - Intro to Microeconomics
GEOG - Geog and Our Planetary Environment
MATH - Algebra for Honours Mathematics
MATH - Calculus 1 for Honours Mathematics

Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering Major: Junior Year, Fall Semester

Introduction to Instruments and Computers w/lab
Analysis of Structures
Fluid Mechanics w/lab
Product Design ( using Pro-E )
Applied Math for MAE's
American Pluralism ( stupid gen-ed )

Materials Science, Fall 2009, senior year (4th year)

Semiconductor physics
Symmetry in materials science (group theory) {grad course}
Quantum mechanics I
Mathematical physics {grad course}

+ research on photonics (diploma thesis)

Introduction to Algebraic Geometry (Independent study, Uses Ideals, Varieties and Algorithms:A computational intro. to alg. Geometry and Atiyah Macdonald. The Prof uses the simple book (Ideals and varieties) to give an intuitive outline and then fills in more detail when we meet.)

Real analysis 1/Adv. calc (uses Bartle, I wanted to use Rudin because I have read the first two chapters)

Theory of Computation ( Introduction to Automata Theory, Languages, and Computation (3rd Edition) (Hardcover) by John E. Hopcroft)

German II

Numerical Analysis (can't remember the text.)

The Real Analysis stuff seems a little more difficult than some of the stuff from my first modern algebra course, but still pretty easy (I hope it gets tough, then it should be pretty fun). Theory of Comp is supposed to be pretty challenging, I can't wait to get sufficient background to have a more intuitive grasp of theory of recursion. The Algebraic geometry prof said he will be giving me some simple but unsolved problems dealing with Groebner Bases when we cover the material.

Overall, I am very excited about this semester.

<h2>1. What classes are you taking for Fall 2009?</h2><p>I am taking five classes for Fall 2009: Biology, Chemistry, Calculus, Psychology, and English Composition.</p><h2>2. How many credits are you taking for Fall 2009?</h2><p>I am taking a total of 15 credits for Fall 2009, which is the standard full-time course load at my university.</p><h2>3. Are any of your classes online for Fall 2009?</h2><p>No, all of my classes for Fall 2009 are in-person and on-campus. I prefer the traditional classroom setting for my courses.</p><h2>4. Are there any prerequisites for the classes you are taking in Fall 2009?</h2><p>Yes, some of my classes for Fall 2009 have prerequisites that I have already completed. For example, I needed to pass Chemistry 101 before enrolling in Chemistry 201.</p><h2>5. How did you choose your classes for Fall 2009?</h2><p>I chose my classes for Fall 2009 based on my major requirements, personal interests, and availability. I also consulted with my academic advisor to ensure I am on track to graduate on time.</p>

1. What classes are you taking for Fall 2009?

I am taking five classes for Fall 2009: Biology, Chemistry, Calculus, Psychology, and English Composition.

2. How many credits are you taking for Fall 2009?

I am taking a total of 15 credits for Fall 2009, which is the standard full-time course load at my university.

3. Are any of your classes online for Fall 2009?

No, all of my classes for Fall 2009 are in-person and on-campus. I prefer the traditional classroom setting for my courses.

4. Are there any prerequisites for the classes you are taking in Fall 2009?

Yes, some of my classes for Fall 2009 have prerequisites that I have already completed. For example, I needed to pass Chemistry 101 before enrolling in Chemistry 201.

5. How did you choose your classes for Fall 2009?

I chose my classes for Fall 2009 based on my major requirements, personal interests, and availability. I also consulted with my academic advisor to ensure I am on track to graduate on time.