Post Measurements for Golden Ratio Study

• Thread starter YODA0311
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about finding the "golden ratio" based on human measurements. The person is asking for total height and navel height, and then provides their own measurements of 162 inches and 134 inches, respectively. They also link to a website discussing the golden ratio. Another person raises questions about the significance of the navel and the difficulty of measuring it accurately. There has been recent discussion on this topic in a photography thread.
YODA0311
Post your measurments pleasezz

I am answering a statistics problem and it asks me to answer questions referring to human measurements. Trying to reveal "the golden ratio" base on the info below:

I am gathering TOTAL HEIGHTS(inches) and HEIGHTS OF A PERSON'S NAVEL, MEASURED FROM THE GROUND(inches). it would be great if you can provide these 2 measurments. Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

YODA0311 said:
More the better!
Since more is better, I went upstairs and measured. My total height was 162 inches from the ground and my navel is 134 inches from the ground.

http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/pseudo/fibonacc.htm"

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimmy Snyder said:
Since more is better, I went upstairs and measured. My total height was 162 inches from the ground and my navel is 134 inches from the ground.

http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/pseudo/fibonacc.htm"

thanks, ill just take the (1)'s out :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Markowski, of the University of Maine, raised some questions, like, the significance of the navel, and ambiguity of measurement of a precise location of the navel since it has a non-trivial length. There has been some discussion about "the golden ratio" and other matters in the “PF photography thread", recently.

Thank you for your inquiry. In order to accurately determine the golden ratio based on human measurements, we will need to gather more specific data. The two measurements that are typically used to calculate the golden ratio are the height of a person's navel, measured from the ground, and the height of the person's entire body. In order to provide the most accurate results, we would also need to know the gender and age of the individuals being measured, as well as their body mass index (BMI) and any other relevant physical characteristics. Once we have collected this information, we can use statistical analysis to calculate the golden ratio and determine its significance in relation to human measurements. Thank you for your interest in our research.

1. What is the golden ratio and why is it important to study?

The golden ratio, also known as the divine proportion, is a mathematical ratio of approximately 1.618. It has been found to be present in many aspects of nature and art, and is believed to have aesthetic appeal. Studying the golden ratio can help us better understand its role in the natural and designed world.

2. How do you measure the golden ratio?

The golden ratio can be measured by taking the ratio of two numbers, where the larger number is equal to the sum of the two numbers. This can be written as a mathematical equation, (a+b)/a = a/b = 1.618. In terms of physical measurements, the golden ratio can be found by measuring the length and width of an object and comparing them with the ratio of 1.618.

3. What are the applications of studying the golden ratio?

Studying the golden ratio has many applications, including in architecture, design, and art. It has been used in the design of buildings, furniture, and even in the proportions of the human body. It can also be applied in fields such as biology, where the ratio can be found in the structure of plants and animals.

4. How do you conduct post measurements for a golden ratio study?

To conduct post measurements for a golden ratio study, you will need to first identify the object or subject of the study. Next, you will need to take accurate measurements of the object or subject and compare them to the golden ratio. This can be done using various tools such as calipers or rulers. It is important to take multiple measurements to ensure accuracy.

5. What are the limitations of using the golden ratio in studies?

While the golden ratio has been found to be present in various aspects of nature and design, it is important to note that it is not always applicable. It is also a controversial and debated topic among scientists and mathematicians. Additionally, there may be other factors at play in the observed ratios, and it is important to consider these when interpreting the results of a golden ratio study.