Post your Spring 2010 schedule

In summary: I'm an expert summarizer, not a question-answerer.In summary, your schedule for Spring 2010 is: -Object-Oriented Programming (Java)-Computer Programming for Engineers (C/C++)-Calc II-Physics I (CM)-Physics I lab-IT for Electrical Engineers-Taking a light semester because you are going to be taking the physics GRE-Calculus 2-Algebra 2-English course (i'm from Poland)-Classical Mechanics.
In my country. Februari is a second semester.
My schedule is :
Heat Physics
Optics
Statistics
Electronics
Basic Math II

Hope this semester will be better than first semester.
Im new in this forum.
Please guidance me ! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
DylanB said:
My schedule for Mech Eng.

Numerical Methods and PDE's
Manufacturing Processes
Fluid Mechanics 1
Thermodynamics 2
Kinematics and Dynamics of Machines

Also going for a Applied Mathematics minor and am taking

Continuum Mechanics
Linear Algebra 2

Thank you :)

qspeechc said:
I'm not sure, but I think it looks like this:

Differential geometry.
Multi-variable Real Analysis.
Graduate Algebra.
Topology.
And maybe graduate level Classical Mechanics, or is this last one too much?
I don't know what your courses are like, how much time you have, and how intelligent you are ;)
It will probably be tough.

Joydivining said:
First Semester of 2010:
Introduction to Computational Mathematics
Theoretical Physics I
Foundations of Contemporary Physics
Partial Differential Equations

Second Semester of 2010:
Theoretical Physics II
Complex Analysis
Advanced Ordinary Differential Equations
Differential Geometry

A Bachelor of Science in Australia constitutes of 96 credits (most units yielding 6 points individually) which is generally completed over the course of 3 years full-time or 6 years part-time. Does the American system force you guys into a more general education, where you effectively have an additional freshman-level year for the arts and whatnot?

I went to a private "liberal arts" school that required so many general education requirements that you had to average about 18-20 credits a semester to take enough science courses to earn a B.S. as opposed to a B.A.

Your course set up here is pretty much my dream schedule.

These are the only courses I know I will be taking next semester for sure (I'm in the middle of transferring):

Graduate-level complex analysis
General topology
Modern analysis II

I'd like to participate in VIGRE next semester for either knot theory or computational algebraic geometry, but I do not know if that will be possible since I'm a mid-year transfer and can't register yet. I may also add on a computer science course or general humanities course.

English
Algebra...

Yay for me!

Calculus II (4)
Analog Systems Design (4)
Digital Systems Design (4)
Microcomputer Architecture (4)
Senior Capstone (3)
AC circuit analysis (4)

full boat

My courses are all over the place considering I'm actually majoring in computer engineering (and psych sort of, but my school doesn't quite let), but it's my (hopefully) final semester, so *shrugs*
I've done the full math/engineering loads before, so I figure I'm allowed a few light semesters.

EE Electromagnetics (hideous professor, but it's my last major course, so I hope I'll survive it)
Epidemiology (psychology grad course)
Applied Statistics
Photography (so excited about it)
World Civ (so painful to take liberal arts courses when you're almost out)
psych honors thesis

And ongoing comp-sci research

Joydivining said:
Does the American system force you guys into a more general education, where you effectively have an additional freshman-level year for the arts and whatnot?
Depends on the school, but basically, our cores can be interspersed through out the degree. At my school, lots of engineers take care of the liberal arts reqs during the summer or use them to avoid semesters of 6 major courses.

Aladdin said:
Can someone please tell me what a mechanical engineering schedual would be ?
Depends on the school and year. Most of them publish this stuff, so just look it up for where you're interested. First semester freshman year is core stuff like calculus, chemistry, English, and maybe intro to engineering.

UserName13 said:
What's considered a really full schedule?
Depends on the person and school. Working full time + 12 credits can kill some people, others do fine. Generally anything over 15 credits is considered a bit much (my school requires special permission to take over 18), and knock off 3 credits for every 10 hours you're working. I've done a 15 credit summer and wouldn't recommend it to anyone, but managed some of my best grades while doing 20 credits + a job. I do research now and it's such a time sink that it plus work mean anything more than 12 credits gets difficult. It's really person specific.

quincy said:
When is a good time to start looking for research opportunities in college?
ASAP, though most professors probably won't take you seriously 'til you've had at least the most basic major courses and preferably a course or two in their specialty. Realistically, about a year or two into your degree is going to be about when you should have decent enough relationships with faculty to really look for some research positions. Just talk to people, 'cause often they know who needs research students for what. I'm always recruiting for my lab. I started in my major lab as a junior, definitely not a problem.

Last edited:
Landau said:
I don't know what your courses are like, how much time you have, and how intelligent you are ;)
It will probably be tough.

Yea, your probably right. I don't have to do the Classical Mechanics course, I just thought this might be one of my last chances to do it before I graduate, and I really like classical mechanics. I can always study it on my own :smile:

Linear Algebra
Differential Equations
Engineering Physics III - Optics and Modern Physics
Engineering Dynamics
Engineering Design
Matlab Seminar

Very excited, I'm feeling a lot better about this semester.

2010 spring

-Mathematics 2E (some calculus, vectors, matrices)
-Engineering Mechanics
-Heat and Flow (Thermodynamics and fluid mechanics, this semester will mainly be fluid mechanics.)
-Engineering Analysis (Pro Engineer, MathCAD)
-Electrical principles (analogue and digital electronics)
-Electronics lab

That's going to be a lot of work. 1st semester was similar and had 28 hours a week of lectures, tutorials, labs, etc.

Electromagnetic Theory II
Differential Geometry
Measure Theory and Fourier Analysis
Statistical Mechanics
Interpretation and Foundations of Quantum Mechanics

I'm a 4th year mathematical physics major at the University of Waterloo btw.

Calculus I

For the spring semester:
Lab b2
Intro to particles and nuclei.
Topics in number theory (from the teacher we'll use Serre's Arithemetic textbook).
Introduction to Functional Analysis
Intro to Nonlinear Phenomena or Geometrical problems in classical mechanics (the former is obligatory course, though I hope to replace it with the latter cause I heard that the lecturer is awful).
Lie Algebras.

High School Student:

AP Gov and Politics (part II)
Chinese 3-I (part II)
AP Lit and Comp (part II)

AP Classical Mechanics (part II)
Discrete Mathematics
Differential Geometry
AP Electricity and Magnetism (part II)

n1person said:
High School Student:

Chinese 3-I (part II)

Discrete Mathematics
Differential Geometry

Differential geometry? Thats a pretty heavy duty course for high school considering its usually a graduate level course. Are you taking that at a nearby college/university?

n1person said:
High School Student:

Chinese 3-I (part II)

Discrete Mathematics
Differential Geometry
Have u taken the sequence Calc 1-3, because i don't see how one could do diff. geometry without having completed at least 3 semesters of Calculus.

Freshman at University:
Math 54-Linear Algebra
Math 55-Discrete Mathematics
Physics 7A- Mechanics and Waves
Philosophy 140A- Intermediate Logic
still deciding between
Math 160- History of Mathematics
Chemistry 3a- Organic Chemistry
or a fun class for a psychology journal

One would usually need at least a semester of analysis and linear algebra as well before taking differential geometry. I'm more curious about the pairing of discrete mathematics and differential geometry. It just seems to me that someone ready for differential geometry would gain very, very little from the typical discrete mathematics course (an exception would be a more hardcore version of the subject based on, e.g., Knuth's book "Concrete Mathematics").

Maybe he meant Analytic Geometry? or Differential Calculus and Analytic Geometry

Electrical Engineering (for non-majors with lab)
Advanced Strengths (with lab)
Calc III
Numerical Methods
Thermo I

How much you guys think I am going to suffer? :P

I guess I'll contribute as my first post...

Calculus III (Multivariable)
Differential Equations
Linear Algebra
Physics II

4th year Physics + computer science major and a nice littel math minor

Termal Physics
Quantum Mechanics
Theory and design of Operating Systems
Senior Seminar for Physics
Senior Seminar for Comp Sci

senior sems are to prepare us for our comprehensive exams. Anyone else have those at their undergrad universities?

awri said:
senior seems are to prepare us for our comprehensive exams. Anyone else have those at their undergrad universities?

Yes, there are actually 2 senior seminars at my school for physics majors, but the description says it mostly involves graduate students speakers, presentation of research projects, and other similar stuff. It seems more like an easy presentation-type class to take a load off senior classes, and its only worth 1 credit hour.

lsaldana said:
Yes, there are actually 2 senior seminars at my school for physics majors, but the description says it mostly involves graduate students speakers, presentation of research projects, and other similar stuff. It seems more like an easy presentation-type class to take a load off senior classes, and its only worth 1 credit hour.

That actually sounds quite interesting. Id love to speak to some grad students. I have to take physics comp exams in march so this seminar is to prepare us for that. Gonna be a bad week :(

Probability theory
Computer architecture 2
"System programming" I don't know what that really is yet
A class about Roman culture and life as a Roman citizen <3
A class about modern Japanese culture

Calculus II
Praxis II
Linear Algebra
Molecular Biology
Electric Circuits
Origin of the Universe

Winter 2010 for me:

Transfer Processes
Modeling of Physical and Biological Systems
Fluid Mechanics
Design of Waste Management Systems

Mathematical Methods in Applied Mechanics II
Computational Statistics with Application to Bioinformatics
Introduction to Mathematical Modeling II

circuits 2
partial differential equations
enineering economic analysis
engineering mechanics - statics
power systems

Calculus 1
Logic and proof
Intro. to physics 2

I wanted more classes, but I was afraid to add chemistry 1. I hate Chemistry...

Statistics III
Analytical Chemistry I
Dynamic modeling
Black-Scholes modeling
Logical thinking

Modern Physics
Thermodynamics

Physics 103 (Intro to Modern & Quantum/Optics)
Linear Algebra
Ordinary Differential Equations
2D Drawing
Drawing I (waitlisted :grumpy:)

Reason for my drawing classes is that I'd like to better be able to put things in perspective. I like to REALLY understand problems, and that's sometimes an issue if I can't picture it.

Introductory Mathematical Physics
Computers in Physics
General Physics 3
Probability

This isn't the schedule I was hoping for, but this is my first semester at this university, transferring from a community college. Just had my orientation and registration day today, and transfer students can't register before that. Because of that factor, all of the classes I wanted to take were already full.

In fact, I'm only taking probability because it's fairly interesting to me, and I'd need that or something like it if I choose to double major in physics and math. I really wanted to do DiffEQ and/or Linear Algebra this semester, but both were full.

I feel I will be at a disadvantage without Differential Equations, so I'll have to pick it up on the fly.