Post your spring schedule!

• Thread starter eXorikos
  • Start date
I think some people overestimate these course loads. As long as you manage your time well, it's not really so bad. As an example, I'm taking 120% course load, I'm in two school clubs, and I have two jobs, with plenty of time for 8hr sleep/day. Of course, I know of plenty people who are much busier than me, and they still manage too.

Taking extra courses doesn't always equate to wanting to rush through school. Some people just like learning! :D

I don't know what physics or mathematics class is going to require 3-5 hours per week. I'm not even completely sure if 8-12 hours suffices for a non rudimentary understanding of later math and physics courses.. definitely not a "very difficult class" at least.
It certainly does. How long else do you expect? If you're suggesting that an upper-level Physics class requires more than 15 hours of work outside of class, then I don't think you've looked at the requirements for a Physics BS at your school. For example, at my school in the 6th semester Physics majors are EXPECTED to take upper-level E&M I, Quantum Mechanics II and PDE's the same semester. So that alone is 45 hours of work if you say 15 hours per class are required. Add to that 10 hours of work for electives and time spend in class and you have a 70-75 hour work week. It would be crazy for the *department* to expect that kind of work from you as an undergrad. So my point is, 8-12 hours usually is enough for an upper-level physics class (also speaking from experience).

To make the argument clear, let me pose this question: Do you believe that you have less time to dive in depth as a function of more classes? Yes or no? I have never stated that 4 or 5 classes should be avoided. But simply posited the fact that the more classes one takes then the less time one has to dive in deeper understanding, as well as have less time for other things such as research/socializing. I find that baffling to not agree with.
Yes, it's true the more classes you take, the less time you have to dive in depth, but I was arguing quality vs quantity. Taking a good amount of upper level courses the same semester still certainly leaves plenty of time for depth. It's just that you have to be willing to work very hard.

chiro
Science Advisor
Interesting.. what exactly is a half-subject though?
It's probably not the best term but a half-subject is just one in terms of credit points that is half of a normal subject.

In many Australian universities we have 24 credit points a semester for two semesters as a full-time load. A half-subject is 3 credit points: they are usually half the number of contact hours and work of a full subject.

Taking extra courses doesn't always equate to wanting to rush through school. Some people just like learning! :D
That's very true. I'm currently taking 19 credits in junior college right now.

Intermediate Algebra
Stellar Astronomy
Physics 110
Philosophy & Ethics
Spanish Civilization

Not too bad for a 27 year old firefighter who's been laid off three times in two states due to budget cuts. Time to go after my passion of science and learn as much as I can!!

Complex Analysis
Real Analysis
Vector Calculus
Quantum (graduate in a chemistry department so advanced ungraduate)
Writing class...

Metalogic 1 (7,5 ECTS)
Modal logic (7,5 ECTS)
Metalogic 2 (7,5 ECTS)
Academic writing in english (I live in Scandinavia) (7,5 ECTS)
Metaphysics xor Metaethics (7,5 ECTS each)

The standard workload at my university is 4 courses à 7,5 ECTS per semester, but I'm trying to take 7,5 credits extra each semester, including taking extra courses during summer, so that I can reduce the time I have to spend at undergraduate level by 1½-2 semesters. That would allow me to get a b.a (I'm majoring in philosophy and logic) after 2 - 2.25 years.

GR from Weinberg
QFT from Ryder and Peskin and Schroeder
Real Analysis I (from Lewin...you probably don't know it, but it's veryyyy gentle)
Topics in Set Theory (Lewin again)
Galois Theory from...I don't remember @.@

Should be an interesting semester? From the reading ahead I've done in Analysis, Topology (even if it's only of the real line!) is VERY cool.

Metalogic 1 (7,5 ECTS)
Modal logic (7,5 ECTS)
Metalogic 2 (7,5 ECTS)
Academic writing in english (I live in Scandinavia) (7,5 ECTS)
Metaphysics xor Metaethics (7,5 ECTS each)

The standard workload at my university is 4 courses à 7,5 ECTS per semester, but I'm trying to take 7,5 credits extra each semester, including taking extra courses during summer, so that I can reduce the time I have to spend at undergraduate level by 1½-2 semesters. That would allow me to get a b.a (I'm majoring in philosophy and logic) after 2 - 2.25 years.
Modal logic...legit.
:)

Intro to Analysis
Linear Algebra and Matrix theory
Money and Banking
Economics of Immigration
Intermiedate Macroeconomic Theory

15 Credits. Im a Applied Math/Econ major

I feel like such a pathetic noob lol.

Matrix and Linear Algebra w/ Proofs (3 cr, A)
Calculus and Analytic Geometry (5 cr, I)
Sociology (3 cr, E)
Ethnic Studies (3 cr, E)

I'm also second semester freshmen (lol yes, I should have taken first semester)

Second semester sophomore:
1-Fundamental of nuclear power
2-General Chemistry
3-Classical dance
4-Mathematical Methods of Physics
5-Optics and modern physics
6-Practice record of nuclear radiation
7-Practice General Physics 3
8-Statistical Physics
9-French

Advanced Engineering Mathematics
Engineering Mechanics (Statics & Dynamics)
Physics 211
Basic Thermodynamics
Anthropology 250- last of my Gen Ed requirements! Haha.

Algorithms and data structures

Stochastic simulation

General chemistry

Probability theory

Power electronics

Science/engineering in society (cant remember real course title :p)

I don't know what physics or mathematics class is going to require 3-5 hours per week. I'm not even completely sure if 8-12 hours suffices for a non rudimentary understanding of later math and physics courses.. definitely not a "very difficult class" at least.
Higher physics courses in college can be a bit harder than most which is why some teachers make additional markings to grading procedures such as 65% being a C- as opposed to 70%. Especially because those courses rely more on understanding than just simple rote memorization. In my experience they were generally harder because of the 15 student sized class, and that + lab being the professors only section meant he had more time to focus on how to drive the students insane.

Ultimately, it depends on the student. When I was doing pretty poorly in college, I grasped the concepts but when it came to test time, didn't do so well because I never popped open the book. Retook classes with some work done 1 hour after class of working problems, got an A but this was in the tier 3 courses of physics, biology, and chemistry. Tier 1 courses are much different at the school I go to. But because it is private, most courses are generally tougher because of the small class size and the faculty having more time on their hands aside from their own research projects.

3-5hrs on general chemistry 1 I can understand and for physics I understand as well if the student was never exposed to the material in high school.

Calc based Physics II
Calculus II
Intro to Philosophy
College Survival Skills -- bullsh** class
Creative Writing
Intro to Statistics & Probability

Dropped the creative writing class. It wasn't what I thought it was. I was hoping for something akin to creative essays but it was centered around poems and fiction. bleh. =p Sorry poem lovers. =p

Calc 3
English-Critical Thinking and Writing
Marine Biology
U.S. History

wukunlin
Gold Member
Project in Optoelectronics
Optoelectronics
Optoelectronics and Communication
Communication Systems
Digital Communications
Management for Engineers