Post Your Summer/Fall 2012 Class Schedules

• Thread starter Angry Citizen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Class
In summary, the conversation is about the schedules of various individuals for the upcoming summer and fall semesters. Some are excited about their courses, while others are feeling overwhelmed. Some are taking advanced courses in their field of study, while others are just starting college. The conversation also includes discussions about taking courses online, participating in research, and studying ahead for the fall semester.
Fall '12:
Modern Physics
Interpersonal Communication
Intro to Horticulture

Physics news on Phys.org
Theory of Solid State II (Last class to fulfill my PhD requirements)

Advanced Algebraic Topology (Not sure how this one will go yet.. I got consent from the professor to take the course because I self studied Rotman's book over the summer.)

Simulation of Multiphysics (CS course, mostly numerical PDE's)

Independent of Study with a PDE-Harmonic Analysis-Operator Theory professor. (The guy is a total genius and publishes like mad even though he's in his 60's. Not sure what I want to learn from him or what he'll want to teach me but I'm up for anything.)

I could have taken an easy semester because I finally chose my adviser and research area, theoretical AMO, but I wanted to be challenged class wise before I take the full plunge into research only, lol.

Incoming Freshman:

Expository Writing I
Intro to Poetry
Conservation
Introduction to Abstract Algebra
Maths Problem Solving Seminar

Snicker said:
Incoming Freshman:

Expository Writing I
Intro to Poetry
Conservation
Introduction to Abstract Algebra
Maths Problem Solving Seminar

How are you already doing Abstract Algebra as a freshman?? :confused:

TheKracken said:
How are you already doing Abstract Algebra as a freshman?? :confused:

Anything is possible with a little bit of aggressive networking (and a couple of community college credits).

I took real analysis, topology, abstract algebra, and linear algebra in my freshman year (although I did not do so great, lots of B's, and a couple C's... d'oh!)

I'm taking Quantum I, mathematical methods in physics II, analytical mechanics, and some humanities courses (english drama and human sexuality, for the curious.)

First semester of grad school, so I have graduate level quantum, E&M, and mechanics/math methods. Wish me luck, I'm going to need it.

Junior (but final) year of high school.

Global Studies: Latin America, AP US History, American Literature, English Elective: Strangers in a Strange Land, AP Spanish Language, Music History, AP Biology.
And, thank god, a math class: Graduate Algebra at Tulane!

Unfortunately, I can only take one math class this year because of my annoying other courses, but that won't stop me from learning other stuff in my spare time...

A. Bahat said:
Junior (but final) year of high school.

Global Studies: Latin America, AP US History, American Literature, English Elective: Strangers in a Strange Land, AP Spanish Language, Music History, AP Biology.
And, thank god, a math class: Graduate Algebra at Tulane!

Unfortunately, I can only take one math class this year because of my annoying other courses, but that won't stop me from learning other stuff in my spare time...

How the heck are you guys in high school yet taking upper under grad and graduate level math classes...

My case is probably rather different from most other similar ones, as this is actually the first college math class I'm actually taking. So far I've learned all the math I know on my own, but due to an unfortunate lack of awareness by my high school, I haven't had the chance to do any of this in a formal classroom setting. (Not that that is such a bad thing; if anything, I've acquired the very important skill of being able to learn independently.)

But last year I finally ran out of math classes at my school. (I was stuck in a calculus class while learning about de Rham cohomology. That's when you know something has gone very wrong.) So I showed the chair of Tulane's math department the work I'd done, and he was like, "Cool. You should take grad algebra."