• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Post Your Summer/Fall 2013 Class Schedules

I personally wouldn't take differential equations before having multivariable calculus.
I took them simultaneously and I see no reason to take multivariable calc before diff eq. I recommend linear algebra before multivariable calc and diff eq, though.

@Walk_w/o_aim: Hopefully I'll get the opportunity next year. Good luck on the Putnam and enjoy the class!

QuantumCurt
Education Advisor
I personally wouldn't take differential equations before having multivariable calculus.
At some schools that is standard procedure. At my school, the sequencing is Calc I>>>Calc II>>>Differential Equations>>>Calc III. That's basically the only order they can be taken in, because it's a smaller school, and they only offer Diff EQ in the fall, and Calc III in the spring. It's a two year school, so typically you would be taking Calc III during your last semester, rather than sticking around to take Diff EQ the following year.

Just wondering, how do you guys balance extracurriculars/jobs with homework?

Some of my professors make it a policy to assign at least 15 hours of homework per week per class (and we have to write how long it took on top of the homework), and last semester I took 4 physics classes (as well as a history class) and struggled with the workload. I think I'm going to cap myself at 3 upper division/graduate physics classes per semester to avoid a repeat of that, but it's also important for me to maintain a life beyond classroom physics...

Seems like kind of a weird policy that you need to write how long the homework took you, I've never heard of that. For jobs, I try to get jobs that I can do at odd hours (like late at night). For example, I grade homework for the math department. So I can do this whenever I have spare time, between classes, before I go to bed, etc.

QuantumCurt
Education Advisor
You have to write how long your homework took you? That's quite unusual. I don't even know how I'd calculate that. A lot of the time when I'm doing homework, I'll sit down and do a few problems, then get up and do something else for a little bit, and come back and do a few more etc. That's a strange requirement.

Not all classes are like that, but yeah, the professor was shooting for 15 hours of homework a week...

At some schools that is standard procedure. At my school, the sequencing is Calc I>>>Calc II>>>Differential Equations>>>Calc III. That's basically the only order they can be taken in, because it's a smaller school, and they only offer Diff EQ in the fall, and Calc III in the spring. It's a two year school, so typically you would be taking Calc III during your last semester, rather than sticking around to take Diff EQ the following year.
Now that I think about it, my school is the same way. One of my friends took differential equations last semester and he is taking multivariable calculus this semester. I took calculus 1-3 first and differential equations afterwards.

My experience was similar, took Calc 1, then Calc 2, and took Diff Eq and Calc 3 at same time.

Not all classes are like that, but yeah, the professor was shooting for 15 hours of homework a week...
Very strange indeed.

People also complete the problems at different speeds. Do you also have to account for the time you spend thinking about your problems in the shower, toilet or when commuting? How about when you're talking to a friend, and somehow, you figure out how to solve a problem?

The majority of the class worked in study groups for this particular class, and we were allowed to write down the amount of time however we wanted. We also had to write down anyone who we discussed questions with or whoever we worked with. People definitely did take different amounts of time to do the problem sets, but on the whole it was a very strong cohort (last year, I think about half of the grad school bound seniors in the major ended up at MIT or Harvard... or maybe more than half) so even if you were a good student, you'd still be saddled with a lot of work.

I took calculus bc -> multivariable. What's next?

Very strange indeed.

People also complete the problems at different speeds. Do you also have to account for the time you spend thinking about your problems in the shower, toilet or when commuting? How about when you're talking to a friend, and somehow, you figure out how to solve a problem?
It is difficult to figure out precisely how much time is spent on a homework. I don't think the idea is too odd though, it could just be a new professor attempting to figure out if his homework sets are too long or not long enough (of course I'm speculating here).

QuantumCurt
Education Advisor
Now that I think about it, my school is the same way. One of my friends took differential equations last semester and he is taking multivariable calculus this semester. I took calculus 1-3 first and differential equations afterwards.
A lot of schools will actually have you take Diff EQ and Linear Algebra at the same time in between Calc II and III. Some schools even combine the two into one course.

I'd recommend doing linear algebra before differential equations if possible, because you really should have an understanding of eigenvalues/eigenvectors before you do systems of differential equations.

1) Computer Programming (kind of an intro class)
2) Algorithms and Data Structures
3) Machine Architecture and Organization
4) Theory of Probability and Statistics
5) Physics III (Waves, Optics, Relativity)

I'm looking forward to classes this fall!

Quantum Mechanics
E&M II
Observational Astronomy + lab
Senior Seminar (aka how to get a job)
The Art of Ancient Technology (gen ed)

General Chem I
Physics I
Multivariable Calc
US History (general ed)