Post Your Summer/Fall 2013 Class Schedules

• Thread starter Genericcoder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Class
In summary, the person's fall 2013 class schedule includes taking Calculus I, General Physics I, Chemistry I, and Intro to Anthropology. They are also volunteering in a superconductivity lab and thinking about a part time job.
Not all classes are like that, but yeah, the professor was shooting for 15 hours of homework a week...

Physics news on Phys.org
QuantumCurt said:
At some schools that is standard procedure. At my school, the sequencing is Calc I>>>Calc II>>>Differential Equations>>>Calc III. That's basically the only order they can be taken in, because it's a smaller school, and they only offer Diff EQ in the fall, and Calc III in the spring. It's a two year school, so typically you would be taking Calc III during your last semester, rather than sticking around to take Diff EQ the following year.

Now that I think about it, my school is the same way. One of my friends took differential equations last semester and he is taking multivariable calculus this semester. I took calculus 1-3 first and differential equations afterwards.

My experience was similar, took Calc 1, then Calc 2, and took Diff Eq and Calc 3 at same time.

lasymphonie said:
Not all classes are like that, but yeah, the professor was shooting for 15 hours of homework a week...

Very strange indeed.

People also complete the problems at different speeds. Do you also have to account for the time you spend thinking about your problems in the shower, toilet or when commuting? How about when you're talking to a friend, and somehow, you figure out how to solve a problem?

The majority of the class worked in study groups for this particular class, and we were allowed to write down the amount of time however we wanted. We also had to write down anyone who we discussed questions with or whoever we worked with. People definitely did take different amounts of time to do the problem sets, but on the whole it was a very strong cohort (last year, I think about half of the grad school bound seniors in the major ended up at MIT or Harvard... or maybe more than half) so even if you were a good student, you'd still be saddled with a lot of work.

I took calculus bc -> multivariable. What's next?

Mépris said:
Very strange indeed.

People also complete the problems at different speeds. Do you also have to account for the time you spend thinking about your problems in the shower, toilet or when commuting? How about when you're talking to a friend, and somehow, you figure out how to solve a problem?
It is difficult to figure out precisely how much time is spent on a homework. I don't think the idea is too odd though, it could just be a new professor attempting to figure out if his homework sets are too long or not long enough (of course I'm speculating here).

caldweab said:
Now that I think about it, my school is the same way. One of my friends took differential equations last semester and he is taking multivariable calculus this semester. I took calculus 1-3 first and differential equations afterwards.

A lot of schools will actually have you take Diff EQ and Linear Algebra at the same time in between Calc II and III. Some schools even combine the two into one course.

I'd recommend doing linear algebra before differential equations if possible, because you really should have an understanding of eigenvalues/eigenvectors before you do systems of differential equations.

1) Computer Programming (kind of an intro class)
2) Algorithms and Data Structures
3) Machine Architecture and Organization
4) Theory of Probability and Statistics
5) Physics III (Waves, Optics, Relativity)

I'm looking forward to classes this fall!

Quantum Mechanics
E&M II
Observational Astronomy + lab
Senior Seminar (aka how to get a job)
The Art of Ancient Technology (gen ed)

General Chem I
Physics I
Multivariable Calc
US History (general ed)