Exploring the History and Charm of Buren: A Weekend Getaway in Springtime

• Thread starter Andre
  • Start date
In summary, the village is called Buren, is in old Mexico, has a wall, and is known for its apple orchards. There is a pub called Malle, and the village is defended by cannons. There is a garden below the wall, and the village is always decorated for Queensday.
Andre
Too can do, Borek. Excellent idea. I've spent a weekend in this region, last spring.

Buren is a very old little village, used by the royal Family to go incognito. The queen is "countess of Buren". The crown prince alias is Alex van Buren.

The village defence wall on a beautiful spring day. At the end of the wall barely visible, two humptie dumpties. (Yes it was a cannon)

Buren1-wal.JPG

There is always a mainstreet and a church. The little flags indicate that Queensday (right, that's Evo's birthday) was approaching.

Buren-mainstreet.JPG

more flags

flags.JPG

Malle (crazy) Jan is usually the name of the local pub. Not sure about this one

malle-jan.JPG

No village without a windmill of course

the-mill.JPG

Finally the humptie-dumpties on the wall, from the first picture, No, the cannons, not the gentlemen.

humptie-dumpties.JPG

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Nice Andre, i liked Borek's too.

Nice images, Andre. The flowering fruit trees are a fine indicator of spring, and there's a neat little vegetable garden below the wall in the last picture.

That looks like a very nice village. I love the blossoms in the tree!

Thanks, all, Turbo, notice the blossoming apple tree next to that garden. It's what the area is famous for, apple orchards.

And Monique, I think it's about half an hour driving for you to have a look there.

turbo-1 said:
Nice images, Andre. The flowering fruit trees are a fine indicator of spring, and there's a neat little vegetable garden below the wall in the last picture.

Looks like a very nice little town!

And I hadn't noticed the garden until you pointed it out, turbo. It's a very well-fortified garden, I'd say...under the careful watch of two humptie dumpties...

I hate new mexico. Can't wait to someday tour Europe...

Thanks for sharing, Andre. Appreciated :smile:

Now I really want to visit Europe... maybe next Spring.

lisab said:
Looks like a very nice little town!

And I hadn't noticed the garden until you pointed it out, turbo. It's a very well-fortified garden, I'd say...under the careful watch of two humptie dumpties...
Back to the etymology of that name... I wonder if the egg-shaped character in Carroll's book has anything to do with the egg-shaped mortars of (often) coastal defenses. There are many targets (ships among the foremost) that are best destroyed by shelling from above, and in the 18th and 19th centuries mortars were the best way to accomplish this. In addition, these guns could be produced in sizes that could stand very high internal pressures (even with sub-standard materials) simply by scaling them up, so very large projectiles could be fired from them. Since most were on static mounts (though some in the Civil War and other conflicts were mounted on rail-cars), size wasn't much of an issue.

turbo-1 said:
Back to the etymology of that name... I wonder if the egg-shaped character in Carroll's book has anything to do with the egg-shaped mortars of (often) coastal defenses...

That's a good one, Turbo.

Here some elaboration.

http://www.andhranews.net/Intl/2008/September/29/Humpty-Dumpty-66634.asp

If you believe that Humpty Dumpty in the popular nursery rhyme was an egg, then better think again, for a new book has revealed that the character was apparently a giant cannon used during the English Civil War of 1642-1651...cont'd

See also my entry in that Photo contest

humptydumpty.jpg

I took the picture, sitting on the wall, holding the camera with strechted arm high above the vegetable garden.

Also mind that the pictures were made with the Panasonic FZ8. I gave the camera to my sister later, as hers was stolen, and replaced it by the FZ18 (a bit reluctantly but the FZ8 was out of stock), since the smaller, cheaper and simpler one is the superior picture maker.

Last edited:
Speaking of etymology, I wonder if Martin van Buren, the first American-born President of the US, wasn't connected to the little village pictured above. A little digging around might prove fruitful.

1. What is the significance of "Postcards Buren in Springtime" in the field of science?

The painting "Postcards Buren in Springtime" is significant in the field of science as it is a prime example of Impressionism, a movement that revolutionized the way we perceive color and light. It also showcases the use of complementary colors and the technique of broken color, which have both been studied and utilized in various scientific fields such as psychology and color theory.

2. Who is the artist behind "Postcards Buren in Springtime"?

The artist behind "Postcards Buren in Springtime" is Claude Monet, a French painter who is considered one of the founders of Impressionism. He is known for his paintings that depict the changing effects of light and color in nature, particularly in landscapes.

3. When was "Postcards Buren in Springtime" painted?

"Postcards Buren in Springtime" was painted in 1887 by Claude Monet. This was during the height of the Impressionist movement, which emerged in the 1860s and peaked in the 1870s to 1880s.

4. Where is "Postcards Buren in Springtime" currently located?

The painting "Postcards Buren in Springtime" is currently located in the Musée d'Orsay in Paris, France. It is part of the museum's extensive collection of Impressionist and Post-Impressionist artworks.

5. How does "Postcards Buren in Springtime" reflect the scientific principles of light and color?

"Postcards Buren in Springtime" reflects scientific principles of light and color through its use of complementary colors and broken color technique. The combination of blue and orange in the sky and green and red in the trees create a visual harmony that is pleasing to the eye. This technique also mimics the way our eyes perceive color, as they blend together to create a cohesive image. Additionally, the varying shades of green and pink in the trees and grass show the effects of light and shadow, portraying a realistic depiction of nature.

Back