Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Postcards Buren in Springtime

1. Oct 14, 2008 #1
    Too can do, Borek. Excellent idea. I've spent a weekend in this region, last spring.

Buren is a very old little village, used by the royal Family to go incognito. The queen is "countess of Buren". The crown prince alias is Alex van Buren.

The village defence wall on a beautiful spring day. At the end of the wall barely visible, two humptie dumpties. (Yes it was a cannon)

[​IMG]

There is always a mainstreet and a church. The little flags indicate that Queensday (right, that's Evo's birthday) was approaching.

[​IMG]

more flags

[​IMG]

Malle (crazy) Jan is usually the name of the local pub. Not sure about this one

[​IMG]

No village without a windmill of course

[​IMG]

Finally the humptie-dumpties on the wall, from the first picture, No, the cannons, not the gentlemen.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2008 #2

wolram

Gold Member

Re: Postcards Buren in Srpingtime

Nice Andre, i liked Borek's too.

4. Oct 14, 2008 #3

turbo

Gold Member

Nice images, Andre. The flowering fruit trees are a fine indicator of spring, and there's a neat little vegetable garden below the wall in the last picture.

5. Oct 14, 2008 #4

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That looks like a very nice village. I love the blossoms in the tree!

6. Oct 14, 2008 #5

Thanks, all, Turbo, notice the blossoming apple tree next to that garden. It's what the area is famous for, apple orchards.

And Monique, I think it's about half an hour driving for you to have a look there.

7. Oct 14, 2008 #6

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Looks like a very nice little town!

And I hadn't noticed the garden until you pointed it out, turbo. It's a very well-fortified garden, I'd say...under the careful watch of two humptie dumpties...

8. Oct 14, 2008 #7

I hate new mexico. Can't wait to someday tour Europe...

9. Oct 15, 2008 #8

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Thanks for sharing, Andre. Appreciated :smile:

10. Oct 15, 2008 #9

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Now I really want to visit Europe... maybe next Spring.

11. Oct 15, 2008 #10

turbo

Gold Member

Back to the etymology of that name.... I wonder if the egg-shaped character in Carroll's book has anything to do with the egg-shaped mortars of (often) coastal defenses. There are many targets (ships among the foremost) that are best destroyed by shelling from above, and in the 18th and 19th centuries mortars were the best way to accomplish this. In addition, these guns could be produced in sizes that could stand very high internal pressures (even with sub-standard materials) simply by scaling them up, so very large projectiles could be fired from them. Since most were on static mounts (though some in the Civil War and other conflicts were mounted on rail-cars), size wasn't much of an issue.

12. Oct 15, 2008 #11

That's a good one, Turbo.

Here some elaboration.

http://www.andhranews.net/Intl/2008/September/29/Humpty-Dumpty-66634.asp

See also my entry in that Photo contest

[​IMG]

I took the picture, sitting on the wall, holding the camera with strechted arm high above the vegetable garden.

Also mind that the pictures were made with the Panasonic FZ8. I gave the camera to my sister later, as hers was stolen, and replaced it by the FZ18 (a bit reluctantly but the FZ8 was out of stock), since the smaller, cheaper and simpler one is the superior picture maker.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  13. Oct 15, 2008 #12

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Speaking of etymology, I wonder if Martin van Buren, the first American-born President of the US, wasn't connected to the little village pictured above. A little digging around might prove fruitful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?