Should I Attend a National Poster Conference?

In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's upcoming poster conference and their hesitation on whether or not to attend. They mention that they haven't started on the poster due to traveling and also express concern about missing a week of class. They then question the impact of the conference on their grad school career and mention that they would attend for the experience rather than for their CV. The other person suggests going for the experience if the speaker is interested, but it's not necessary if they are not.
CyberShot
I have a poster conference coming up in two weeks and I am still deciding if i should go or not.

First of all, i haven't really begun the poster because I've been traveling in the east coast a lot helping my family move. Secondly, the conference would mean that I would miss out on a whole week of class!

how much of a grad school booster is this national poster conference? and will i be missing out if i don't attend?

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
CyberShot said:
how much of a grad school booster is this national poster conference? and will i be missing out if i don't attend?

thanks.

I wouldn't do it for the CV, but I would for the experience. It's fun to go along, see some talks, and have a chat with other people that are interested in the same things as you. If you aren't that bothered for the experience, then I would just leave it.

1. What are the benefits of attending a national poster conference?

Attending a national poster conference allows you to present your research to a larger audience and receive valuable feedback from experts in your field. It also provides opportunities for networking, learning about the latest research and developments, and enhancing your professional development and resume.

2. Is it worth the cost to attend a national poster conference?

While there may be some expenses associated with attending a national poster conference, the benefits often outweigh the costs. You have the opportunity to gain recognition for your research, build connections with other scientists, and potentially receive funding or job opportunities.

3. How can I prepare for a national poster conference?

To prepare for a national poster conference, you should thoroughly research the conference and its attendees, practice your poster presentation, and make sure your research is well-organized and visually appealing. It's also important to have business cards or other materials to distribute and to dress professionally.

4. What should I expect at a national poster conference?

At a national poster conference, you can expect to see a variety of research presentations, engage in discussions and networking opportunities with other scientists, and potentially attend workshops or lectures. There may also be opportunities to attend social events or explore the host city.

5. Are there any tips for making the most out of attending a national poster conference?

To make the most out of attending a national poster conference, it's important to be organized, confident, and open to feedback. Take advantage of networking opportunities, attend presentations and workshops that align with your research interests, and have a clear and concise elevator pitch ready for when you meet new people. Also, don't forget to follow up with contacts and continue building relationships after the conference.