Comparing Postgrad Programs in Mathematics: Cambridge vs. Other UK Universities

• Thread starter Bleys
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cambridge
In summary: I study Mathematics and Physics.I think the Part III of Maths is great, and that it prepares you well for research. However, it is not easy to get into, and it does require a lot of dedication.I am also considering the Part III of Physics, and a 2-years joint Master at ETHZ-EP Paris if I decide to go into Particle Physics.Both of those programs have great reputations, and the Part III of Physics is especially challenging. If you are looking for a program with a lot of challenge, those might be the best options for you.
Bleys
Hello there.
I'm currently applying to several Master's programs in mathematics around the UK (and also elsewhere in Europe). I'm interested in algebra or (algebraic) number theory, but I'm keeping my options open to explore more areas before I consider, and apply for, doctorate studies (which is why I'm going through a master's to begin with).

Now I've applied to Cambridge for the Part III MASt. I had only heard about this program in December from someone who was attending. He swore by it. I looked through it and it seemed very promising: very wide selection of courses, and from what I hear it's tough (and I'm really keen on some demanding regiment, because Bachelor studies at my uni was not what I expected; you know, routine assignments and exams (I'm guessing to have the required pass rate of students), tough/interesting material omitted or not included in assessments, etc...).

But I've been reading on some forums and around, and now I'm not really sure anymore. I've heard some pretty negative things, like: overrated (particularly because of prestige), the part III is easy to enter ergo not what it's cracked up to be, 100% taught is not good preparation for research, part III is aimed more at DAMTP. Now I don't know what to think.

I've applied to Imperial and Warwick as well, which my professors told me have very good math departments (not to mention finances there are somewhat more doable for me, though that's not a big issue).

I just want a solid master's program which will give me some good basis for PhD studies. I'd appreciate any constructive input.
Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi!
I don't know if any conversation is useful now, have you already chosen?
I write because I am in a situation that is a little bit similar to yours.

Let me know if you want.
Bye!

Hi, I read you PM only a few days ago, had no notification.
I have written here to let you be notified!
Thanks for answer :-)

Bleys said:
Hello there.
I'm currently applying to several Master's programs in mathematics around the UK (and also elsewhere in Europe). I'm interested in algebra or (algebraic) number theory, but I'm keeping my options open to explore more areas before I consider, and apply for, doctorate studies

Why not just go straight for the PhD? I wish I had! You've spotted some problems with doing part III or MSc - there are others. For instance - check the finance implications carefully.

Hi Mal4Mac
If you are talking to Bleys, he is already doing the PartIII!

If you are talking to me, I am not sure I would prefer the PartIII of Maths, I am considering the PartIII of Physics and also a 2-years joint Master at ETHZ-EP Paris if I decide to go into Particle Physics.
What do you study?

1. What makes postgraduate education at Cambridge unique?

Postgraduate education at Cambridge is unique in its rigorous academic standards, renowned faculty, and centuries-old tradition of excellence in teaching and research. The university offers a diverse range of programs and opportunities for interdisciplinary study, allowing students to customize their education based on their interests and goals. Additionally, the close-knit community and resources at Cambridge provide a supportive and enriching learning environment for postgraduate students.

2. How does the cost of postgraduate education at Cambridge compare to other universities?

The cost of postgraduate education at Cambridge varies depending on the program, but in general, it is more expensive than other universities in the UK. However, the university offers a variety of scholarships and funding options for postgraduate students, making it possible for many to attend. Additionally, the value of a degree from Cambridge is often seen as worth the investment due to the university's prestigious reputation and high employability of its graduates.

3. What opportunities for research and networking does Cambridge offer for postgraduate students?

Cambridge has a wealth of opportunities for postgraduate students to engage in research and networking. With its world-class research facilities and renowned faculty, students have the chance to work on cutting-edge projects and collaborate with leading academics in their field. The university also offers various seminars, conferences, and events for students to network and expand their professional connections.

4. How competitive is admission to postgraduate programs at Cambridge?

Admission to postgraduate programs at Cambridge is highly competitive, with a large pool of talented and qualified applicants vying for a limited number of spots. However, the university looks beyond academic achievements and also takes into consideration an applicant's research experience, interests, and potential for future success. It is important to thoroughly research and carefully prepare an application to have the best chance of being accepted.

5. What is the postgraduate student experience like at Cambridge?

The postgraduate student experience at Cambridge is known for its academic intensity, but also for its supportive and enriching environment. Students have access to top-notch resources and facilities, as well as a vibrant and diverse community of peers from all over the world. The university also offers a range of extracurricular activities and societies for students to get involved in and make the most of their time at Cambridge.