1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Postgrad computer science courses

1. Jan 16, 2013 #1

K29

Hi, I need some help deciding which courses to choose for my postgrad and final year of university. I have enjoyed doing programming at a company that does VOIP systems, I have also enjoyed some work that involved setting up computer software that monitors electric motors and other machinery. I would like to get involved further in the networking field or in setting up systems connected to real life machinery. I have also been interested in security systems, like at a bank, since they have a high need for good security protocols and systems.

I DON'T want to be sitting behind a computer ALL day as a code monkey. I want to go to meetings, deal with clients, and possibly have to travel now and then for on-site issues. When I am done with my honours I would like my earnings to be at least the same as most PG computer science.

I have 5 topics to choose from the following list. Which will be best to help me achieve my goals?

Advanced Operating Systems[I kind of want to do this because I don't know much about operating systems]

Compilers (is this useful in general????)

Computational Complexity (Is this P/NP stuff? doesn't seem that useful unless you want to study even further?)

Computer Architecture (Not sure what this is about)

Networks[I kind of want to do this topic, even though I battled with my undergrad networking course (but my project was the BEST and got me guaranteed work after I finish my Postgrad). I'm interested in it, even though I struggle with the theory]

Introduction to research methods (since its not a compulsory topic, I'm assuming I wont really need this in order to do my research project)

Artificial Intelligence (useful if you're NOT going into the gaming industry???)

High Performance Computing and Scientific Data Management[I kinda want to do this for interests sake]

Image Processing[I kinda want to do this for interests sake]

Computational Molecular Biology[Seems like algorithms for string processing from what I've researched. Apparently useful in other Computer Science applications. I'm not all that interested in this. I have a compulsory Algorithms topic anyway]

So I have to choose 5 topics. Above there are 4 I'm interested in. But I'd like advice and possibly answers to what I'm unsure about. If anyone can help that would be great.

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted