1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Postgrad UK study in France

1. Jan 20, 2015 #1
    I'm a final-year UK-residing maths undergrad and I was hoping to continue my studies with a PhD in astrophysics. I am hoping -- or rather was, straight from my graduate work -- to go to Paris (for various personal reasons) and complete a PhD there. However, as I'm sure some of you are aware, because of the some intra-EU community agreement, you require a masters degree for a Parisian PhD.

So my question is: how viable is it (w/r/t/ funding) for me to complete a masters (in astrophysics) in Paris for the next academic year?

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2015 #2

DEvens

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

You need to Google up some schools to do the degree at and get info directly from them. They will be able to tell you things like how much it costs, how long it takes, what the entry requirements are, what the chances are for a scholarship or teaching work during your degree, and lots of other questions I have not thought of. Like, if you need a student visa or other immigration documents. And lots of other things.

Depending on details, you might want to talk to specific profs in your area of interest. Again, Google is your friend. Also

http://arxiv.org/

may help you find profs working in areas you want to study. Also look for magazines the equivalent of Physics Today and various others. They will tell you who has graduated recently, and where they got positions. That may give you further clues as to where to study.

Once you have the name of some schools and some profs, it's time to start sending emails. Explain briefly what it is you are thinking about and ask for guidance in what you need to do, and what you need to know.

Don't forget that many scholarships don't consider you unless you apply to them. So find out what scholarships exist and which you are eligible for, and get your name in.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook