Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Posting help

1. Mar 24, 2012 #1

JM

I really need help with posting. When writing a long answer to a post the systems times me out and makes me log in again. sometimes it keeps what I had writen and enters it, but just now it erased all of what I had painstakingly created and I need to start all over again. Isnt there some way to transfer something I can write on my word processor, where there is no time limit, to the message box without having to completely re write it?
    JM

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2012 #2
    Whenever you log in, make sure you check the box "Remember Me". This way you won't get logged out.

4. Mar 24, 2012 #3

JM

Thanks, micromass, I'll try it.

5. Mar 24, 2012 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Simply copy and paste. I sometimes do this with long posts, but I use a plain text editor: TextEdit on Mac OS. Notepad or something similar for Windows will do the job just fine.

6. Mar 24, 2012 #5

Borek

Also getting back in your browser history can help - most modern browsers remember content of the edit field before submitting it to the site. So after you are logged out and asked to log again - do it, then after being shown an empty edit filed go back in the history till you see the same edit field - but containing your post. Submitting it at this moment should work, as "logged in" cookie is already present.

7. Apr 18, 2012 #6

JM

Thanks for all the ideas.
    Now two more things: 1. how do I show a squared symbol without the sup tags showing?22 2. How do I work the multi-qoute so my answer appears in a clear space instead of the shaded space wherre the quote is?
    JM

8. Apr 18, 2012 #7

Borek

[noparse]102[/noparse] -> 102

[noparse]
    [/noparse] ->

And text here is not a quote.

9. Apr 18, 2012 #8

JM

Just practicing to see if I got it.
    JM

10. Apr 18, 2012 #9

JM

Borak- Nope I dont got it. Do I add the -> after the sup2sup so the sups dont appear in the posted reply?
    What I'm trying to do is to add my comments in a clear area between the sections of quoted material. I dont see how to do it.
    JM

11. Apr 18, 2012 #10

jtbell

His -> is simply a shorthand for "gives you". If you enter the code that he showed before the ->, you should see what he showed after the ->, when the posted message appears on the screen.

When you hit the "quote" button, you get a message-composition window with the quoted message pasted in, with a [noparse]
    [/noparse] tag after it. To split it into two quotes and insert your own comments in between:

1. Click at the point where you want to split.

2. Type in a [noparse][/quote][/noparse] tag to end the first section, which starts at the original [noparse]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2012
  12. Apr 19, 2012 #11

JM

[/noparse] tag to end the first section, which starts at the original [noparse]
    I had been using the icons, but now I think to type the breaks myself. Is it working?

13. Apr 19, 2012 #12

No, you're forgetting the / in the last . You should type

Code (Text):

[noparse]10[SUP]2[/SUP][/noparse]

Click on the x2 above your posting window to see what you should do.

14. Apr 19, 2012 #13

JM

OK the quote part works. But I used uc, lets try lc.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  15. Apr 19, 2012 #14

JM

Does it have to be italic?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  16. Apr 19, 2012 #15

JM

Micromass. Thanks I think I got it now.
    JM

17. Apr 19, 2012 #16

jtbell

Aha, thank you! I wasn't aware of that, and was wondering how you managed to get the tags to show in your post. :biggrin:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook