Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Posting help

1. Mar 24, 2012 #1

JM

I really need help with posting. When writing a long answer to a post the systems times me out and makes me log in again. sometimes it keeps what I had writen and enters it, but just now it erased all of what I had painstakingly created and I need to start all over again. Isnt there some way to transfer something I can write on my word processor, where there is no time limit, to the message box without having to completely re write it?
    JM

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Whenever you log in, make sure you check the box "Remember Me". This way you won't get logged out.

4. Mar 24, 2012 #3

JM

Thanks, micromass, I'll try it.

5. Mar 24, 2012 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Simply copy and paste. I sometimes do this with long posts, but I use a plain text editor: TextEdit on Mac OS. Notepad or something similar for Windows will do the job just fine.

6. Mar 24, 2012 #5

Borek

Also getting back in your browser history can help - most modern browsers remember content of the edit field before submitting it to the site. So after you are logged out and asked to log again - do it, then after being shown an empty edit filed go back in the history till you see the same edit field - but containing your post. Submitting it at this moment should work, as "logged in" cookie is already present.

7. Apr 18, 2012 #6

JM

Thanks for all the ideas.
    Now two more things: 1. how do I show a squared symbol without the sup tags showing?22 2. How do I work the multi-qoute so my answer appears in a clear space instead of the shaded space wherre the quote is?
    JM

8. Apr 18, 2012 #7

Borek

[noparse]102[/noparse] -> 102

[noparse]
    [/noparse] ->

And text here is not a quote.

9. Apr 18, 2012 #8

JM

Just practicing to see if I got it.
    JM

10. Apr 18, 2012 #9

JM

Borak- Nope I dont got it. Do I add the -> after the sup2sup so the sups dont appear in the posted reply?
    What I'm trying to do is to add my comments in a clear area between the sections of quoted material. I dont see how to do it.
    JM

11. Apr 18, 2012 #10

jtbell

His -> is simply a shorthand for "gives you". If you enter the code that he showed before the ->, you should see what he showed after the ->, when the posted message appears on the screen.

When you hit the "quote" button, you get a message-composition window with the quoted message pasted in, with a [noparse]
    [/noparse] tag after it. To split it into two quotes and insert your own comments in between:

1. Click at the point where you want to split.

2. Type in a [noparse][/quote][/noparse] tag to end the first section, which starts at the original [noparse]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2012
  12. Apr 19, 2012 #11

JM

[/noparse] tag to end the first section, which starts at the original [noparse]
    I had been using the icons, but now I think to type the breaks myself. Is it working?

13. Apr 19, 2012 #12

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

No, you're forgetting the / in the last . You should type

Code (Text):

[noparse]10[SUP]2[/SUP][/noparse]

Click on the x2 above your posting window to see what you should do.

14. Apr 19, 2012 #13

JM

OK the quote part works. But I used uc, lets try lc.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  15. Apr 19, 2012 #14

JM

Does it have to be italic?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  16. Apr 19, 2012 #15

JM

Micromass. Thanks I think I got it now.
    JM

17. Apr 19, 2012 #16

jtbell

Aha, thank you! I wasn't aware of that, and was wondering how you managed to get the tags to show in your post. :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook