Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Posting Images

1. Jan 19, 2008 #1
    Hey, I don't appear to be able to post images with the usual is this due to me still being new and not having posted enough? I mean that would make sense to avoid trolls, and spammers posting unwanted images? Or have I just missed something that i'm not doing correctly.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2008 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think certain parts of the site don't allow images to be posted with image tags. You have to post them as an attachment that awaits moderation from a mentor.

4. Jan 19, 2008 #3
    Are there any reasons for that? Just out fo interest, has the site had a history of trolls or spammers so have had to set that up?

5. Jan 19, 2008 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

All internet forums have a history of trolls and spammers -- and many are quite obscene. In the forums where images are allowed, they must be approved by moderators.

6. Jan 19, 2008 #5
    I guess the fact that when you look up "physics forum" on google this is the first site, it would get alot of hits. My question is, would it not make it easier for moderators, if they put a 100 posts + to post an image? I mean it's just a suggestion, but I have seen it work on other sites. Obviously the moderators would have the best idea, and may have already thought of a similar idea.

7. Jan 19, 2008 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I've thought of this, though 100 is too low. I'd set it at, say 4,466. :biggrin:

But then I decided that that's a form of elitism. And it also discourages frivolous images, which we're all susceptbile to. If a pic is worth it, it's worth the wait. It's rarely more than a few minutes before images are approved - which is pretty incredible.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  8. Jan 19, 2008 #7
    ^ haha, I think the mentors have probably thought of this before, but maybe there was a reason not to.

100 may still be to little, but then there is no incentive for the trolls to waste time sending 100posts, even of the actual priviledge has to be activated by a moderaor, and the person shows an interest in one of the forum sections. I dunno, just a though really, I know on other forums it has got rid of the problem.

9. Jan 19, 2008 #8

Evo

Since most images are posted by new members coming here for homework help, it really wouldn't make much difference in the number of attachments needing approval.

10. Jan 19, 2008 #9
    ^ Point taken, thanks for clearing it up.

11. Jan 19, 2008 #10

Evo

Also, don't be afraid to ask a mentor to approve an attachment if it's been sitting there unapproved. You can use the "report post" button to send the post to the mentor's forum and just ask to have it approved, that way immediate action can be taken by the first mentor that sees it.

12. Jan 19, 2008 #11
    Thank you, will do. =]

13. Jan 19, 2008 #12

jtbell

I think most of the mentors (who have the ability to approve attachments) are in the USA, so when you post something in the middle of the night, USA time, you shouldn't expect super-quick service! :smile:

14. Jan 19, 2008 #13

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Oh!:approve:

15. Jan 19, 2008 #14

Nice, your own little forum! Thanks for all the replies.

16. Jan 19, 2008 #15

Evo

Yes, and the Homework Helpers and the Science Advisors also have their own forums, it gives members that have shown a dedication to the forum more places to use their talents. I personally think we have built a great community of some of the finest people I've ever known.

17. Jan 19, 2008 #16

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Wouldn't it be nice to have a mentor or two from Japan or New Zealand, so that wouldn't be a problem?

18. Jan 19, 2008 #17
    Evo, I've been a user of internet forums for about 3 years now (not long I guess), and the community is the best I've come across, and the willingness of people to help, is something I didn't know was on the internet, and added to that it is free. Great Job.

19. Jan 19, 2008 #18

Evo

The fact that everyone here is doing this for free is amazing. We have some very well known people here that choose to remain anonymous and help out of the goodness of their hearts. It sounds like you will fit right in here. :approve:

We do have mentors from outside the US, but the majority are here. Not by any plan, just the way it happened.

20. Jan 19, 2008 #19

DaveC426913

Gold Member

? How well known? Like big names?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?