Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Posting Limit?

1. Mar 14, 2008 #1

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Whilst attempting to preview a reply to a thread in the Tutorials Sub-forum I keep receiving a database error, the post is relatively long but I've never had any such problems before. Is there a limit of the length of the post or is the sever just acting up?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2008 #2

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I hope you saved your post!

4. Mar 14, 2008 #3

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Google Docs to the rescue! :smile:

5. Mar 14, 2008 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Yes there is a limit. I forget what it is, but I've hit it in some PMs that I've tried to send.

6. Mar 14, 2008 #5

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is there anyway round it without splitting up your post?

7. Mar 14, 2008 #6

berkeman

I always just cut it into two pieces (while cursing a bit) after getting the warning. A bit of a PITA, but I doubt there is a way around it. Anybody else know?

8. Mar 14, 2008 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You won't get a database error for an overly long message, you'll get a message telling you that you've exceeded whatever the number of characters the maximum is. If you were getting a database error, yeah, that's the server acting up most likely.

If you are exceeding the maximum, you'll have to split up the post. The few times I've run into that problem (back when I first joined and would get overly enthusiastic about replying in great detail to questions :redface:), I just titled the replies part 1 and part 2, etc.

9. Mar 14, 2008 #8
    The limit in a forum post must be a few 1000...

10. Mar 14, 2008 #9

Evo

The limit used to be 30,000 characters.

11. Mar 15, 2008 #10

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well guy's I'm still getting the database error, the word count is 588 with 3158 characters. :frown:

12. Mar 15, 2008 #11

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Which thread are you trying to reply to? Perhaps try posting a short reply, and then edit it?

13. Mar 15, 2008 #12

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's my own tutorial thread, I'm not quite ready to post it yet, I'm composing it on the forums so that I've got all the vB code already in and I can keep previewing it to make sure it displays correctly. Luckily, I'm also saving it in Google Docs as I go.

14. Mar 15, 2008 #13

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Whats the message you're getting exactly? Might help the admins track down the problem.

15. Mar 15, 2008 #14

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

However, this only happens when my reply is large, for smaller replies this isn't the case, that is what lead me to believe that there was a posting limit, but my post length is nowhere near 30 000. Perhaps, the number of cycles is limited, there is a fair amount of LaTeX involved.

16. Mar 22, 2008 #15
    If you view the page source you can see the specific database error in a comment.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?