Posting Length Limit: Database Error?

• Thread starter Hootenanny
  • Start date
In summary, There seems to be a database error occurring when attempting to preview a long post on the Tutorials Sub-forum. The limit for post length is unknown, but it seems to be less than 30,000 characters. The error message suggests trying to reload the page or go back and try a different link. This problem has been reported to the forum technical staff for further investigation. The error only seems to occur with longer posts and may be related to the amount of LaTeX involved."
Hootenanny
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Whilst attempting to preview a reply to a thread in the Tutorials Sub-forum I keep receiving a database error, the post is relatively long but I've never had any such problems before. Is there a limit of the length of the post or is the sever just acting up?

Physics news on Phys.org
I hope you saved your post!

JasonRox said:
I hope you saved your post!
Google Docs to the rescue! :smile:

Yes there is a limit. I forget what it is, but I've hit it in some PMs that I've tried to send.

berkeman said:
Yes there is a limit. I forget what it is, but I've hit it in some PMs that I've tried to send.
Is there anyway round it without splitting up your post?

Hootenanny said:
Is there anyway round it without splitting up your post?

I always just cut it into two pieces (while cursing a bit) after getting the warning. A bit of a PITA, but I doubt there is a way around it. Anybody else know?

You won't get a database error for an overly long message, you'll get a message telling you that you've exceeded whatever the number of characters the maximum is. If you were getting a database error, yeah, that's the server acting up most likely.

If you are exceeding the maximum, you'll have to split up the post. The few times I've run into that problem (back when I first joined and would get overly enthusiastic about replying in great detail to questions :redface:), I just titled the replies part 1 and part 2, etc.

The limit in a forum post must be a few 1000...

The limit used to be 30,000 characters.

Moonbear said:
You won't get a database error for an overly long message, you'll get a message telling you that you've exceeded whatever the number of characters the maximum is. If you were getting a database error, yeah, that's the server acting up most likely.
Well guy's I'm still getting the database error, the word count is 588 with 3158 characters. :frown:

Which thread are you trying to reply to? Perhaps try posting a short reply, and then edit it?

cristo said:
Which thread are you trying to reply to? Perhaps try posting a short reply, and then edit it?
It's my own tutorial thread, I'm not quite ready to post it yet, I'm composing it on the forums so that I've got all the vB code already in and I can keep previewing it to make sure it displays correctly. Luckily, I'm also saving it in Google Docs as I go.

Whats the message you're getting exactly? Might help the admins track down the problem.

Kurdt said:
Whats the message you're getting exactly? Might help the admins track down the problem.

Error Message said:
Database Error
The Physics Help and Math Help - Physics Forums database has encountered a problem.
Please try the following:

* Load the page again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.
* Open the www.physicsforums.com home page, then try to open another page.
* Click the Back button to try another link.

The www.physicsforums.com forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

However, this only happens when my reply is large, for smaller replies this isn't the case, that is what lead me to believe that there was a posting limit, but my post length is nowhere near 30 000. Perhaps, the number of cycles is limited, there is a fair amount of LaTeX involved.

If you view the page source you can see the specific database error in a comment.

1. What is the posting length limit and why does it exist?

The posting length limit is a restriction on the number of characters or words that can be included in a post or comment on a website. It exists to ensure that the website remains organized and readable for users, as well as to prevent spam or irrelevant content.

2. Why am I receiving a database error when I try to post a longer message?

A database error occurs when the system is unable to process a request due to an issue with the database. In this case, the error is likely caused by the posting length limit, indicating that the message is too long to be stored in the database.

3. Is there a way to bypass the posting length limit?

No, the posting length limit is in place to maintain the functionality and readability of the website. Attempting to bypass it may result in further errors or disruptions.

4. Can the posting length limit be changed?

Yes, the posting length limit can be adjusted by the website administrator. However, this is typically done for technical reasons and not for individual user requests.

5. How can I reduce the length of my post to comply with the posting length limit?

The best way to reduce the length of your post is to edit and condense your message. Consider removing unnecessary words or breaking up longer sentences into shorter ones. You may also want to consider using bullet points or numbered lists to present information more concisely.