Troubleshooting a Velocity vs. Time Graph: Position at t=10

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the position on a velocity vs. time graph after t=10. The first segment has a slope of -6.25 and the second has a slope of 4.16. The speaker calculated the areas under the curve and got a total of 25m, but the website is showing this as the wrong answer. They also mention the possibility of a wrong answer being inputted due to the electronic nature of the site.
Psyguy22
We are given a velocity vs. time graph. It starts at 15 m/s at t=0 and goes to -10m/s at t=4
then it goes from -10m/s at t=4 to 15m/s at t=10 and we are told to find the postion after t=10

I first found the slope of the first segment which was -6.25. so I did ∫-6.25t+15 dt from 0 to 4 and got 10m
I found the second slope, 4.16..., and did ∫4.16...t-10 dt from 0-6 (because I moved it to the orgin so it made sense) and got 15m. So I added the two segments to get 25m. But the site keeps saying that's the wrong answer. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Does the sight care about significant figures? Hard to believe ∫4.16t-10 dt comes out to exactly 15m.

It comes to 15 when you put 25/6 which is 4.16 repeating. But yes the site does care about significant figures.

oh, I didn't do the math myself I just took it as 4.16 flat. Well I did the math myself as well as taking the area under the curve of the graph and got the same answer as you both ways. Honestly at this point I would say they possibly put in a wrong answer for the problem since it's electronic. I know that's happened to people I know before so you might as well ask.

ok thank you for your help!

1. What is a velocity vs. time graph?

A velocity vs. time graph is a graphical representation of an object's velocity over time. The horizontal axis represents time and the vertical axis represents velocity. It shows how an object's velocity changes over a specific period of time.

2. How do you interpret a velocity vs. time graph?

The slope of a velocity vs. time graph represents the object's acceleration. A positive slope indicates that the object is accelerating in the positive direction, while a negative slope indicates that the object is accelerating in the negative direction. The area under the graph represents the displacement of the object.

3. What does the position at t=10 mean on a velocity vs. time graph?

The position at t=10 is the displacement or distance that the object has traveled after 10 units of time have passed. It can be determined by finding the area under the graph from t=0 to t=10.

4. How do you troubleshoot a velocity vs. time graph?

To troubleshoot a velocity vs. time graph, you can check for any inconsistencies or unusual patterns in the graph. You can also compare it to known examples or equations to see if it aligns with the expected results. Additionally, you can double check your data and calculations to ensure accuracy.

5. What are some common errors when interpreting a velocity vs. time graph?

Some common errors when interpreting a velocity vs. time graph include mistaking the slope for velocity instead of acceleration, misreading the units on the axes, and not taking into account the direction of the object's motion. It is also important to ensure that the graph accurately represents the data and that there are no missing or incorrect values.