Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Posts getting deleted

1. Dec 28, 2011 #1

bapowell

Science Advisor

Is it new PF policy to delete posts that don't fit certain guidelines? I've had a couple recent posts that have simply disappeared (as have the posts they've typically been in response to.)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2011 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

It's been this way for as long as I can remember. It seems like different mentors have different criteria for when to delete vs. simply locking a thread vs. cleaning up a thread as well.

4. Dec 28, 2011 #3

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I suspect [post=3686661]this post[/post] is one of them.

The first part of this post was a response to utter nonsense. The second part was a response to the OP. However, you didn't use the full quote mechanism for the latter part of your post. This made it appear that the quote was a continuation of nonsense post. So the mentor who cleaned up that thread (not me) deleted your entire post.

I undeleted and edited your post. I added the full quote to the OP and I deleted the quoted nonsense and your brief response to it (in full, "This is nonsense.")

It is our policy to delete utter nonsense, and to also sometimes delete posts that are in response to nonsense posts. Suppose we didn't delete such responses. If the response used the quote mechanism, the quote would preserve the very nonsense we wanted to delete. Even if the response does not use the quote mechanism, it can still look completely completely out of place once the nonsense post is deleted. It's a bit of a judgment call whether we delete responses.

5. Dec 28, 2011 #4

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is a policy given in the Rules for Physics Forums,

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=414380.
    In order to register at Physics Forums, agreement with the Rules must first be indicated.

6. Dec 28, 2011 #5

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

Bingo. Often I end up deleting multiple posts when only one user's post is the problem. Thing is if we just delete the problem post it leaves an odd discontinuous thread and also doesn't solve the problem of removing the problem topic from the discussion.

7. Dec 28, 2011 #6

Borek

The other thread was about The God Particle. Whole thread was deleted as the first post was considered to be overly speculative. Sadly, it wasn't deleted immediately, but after some (mostly off topic) discussion.

8. Dec 28, 2011 #7

bapowell

Science Advisor

OK. Thanks everyone!

9. Dec 28, 2011 #8

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I responded to a post in the Engineering and CS HH forum to the effect that nobody was going to do his work for him since he had shown no work. His post and my reply apparently are both gone. Nothing controversial though. Is deleting those par for the course?

10. Dec 28, 2011 #9

Evo

If the member's HH OP did not meet minimum criteria, it would be deleted along (unfortunately) with any response. As much as we hate deleting anything that has a response, sometimes it is the only option, and given the amount of work the mentors have to do, following up to notify each responder just isn't possible. New mentors are always amazed at how much work is required. Mentors must be masochists, they work realy hard only to be abused and harrassed. (not by you, members like you make all of the work worthwhile) :smile:

I know how it feels. Shortly after I joined, a thread I was posting in vanished. I had no clue what happened, my posts required a lot of research debating a crackpot. Turned out that the OP was banned and the thread deleted (due to my research debunking him, no less). There went all of my research, all of the time and effort I invested. POOF. :frown:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  11. Dec 29, 2011 #10

Ryan_m_b

If a member ever PMs me about a post bro g deleted I offer to send them a copy, I know it can be frustrating if one spends a lot of time on a post.

12. Dec 29, 2011 #11

jtbell

If you see a post that clearly violates the rules and is therefore a good candidate for deletion (misplaced homework, insults, extreme speculation, crackpot, etc.), don't respond to it, simply report it. An exception might be for misplaced homework, where a quick reminder of the correct location is appropriate, but don't spend too much time on it because it will probably be deleted soon.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook