Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Posts number

1. May 5, 2006 #1
    What does the "Posts" number refer to under my username?
    It has been seven on mine for a while. Does it refer to the number of threads I have posted in rather than the actual number of posts I have made?
    If so, I guess this post will change it to eight......

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2006 #2
    Posts are sort of like a point system. When you have 5k posts you become a mentor. There is also a membership fee you have to pay to become a mentor once you have the 5k posts, I believe it's 500 bucks.

4. May 5, 2006 #3
    number of posts you've made, not counting general discussion forums.
    You got 3 in astronomy, 4 in biology and 100 in general discussion which don't count.
    At least I think,

5. May 5, 2006 #4

JamesU

Gold Member

Posts in General Discussion, Politics, and (I believe) a few other forums don't count

6. May 5, 2006 #5
    HUH? Is this true? I thought moderators were chosen by the admin based on their merit.

7. May 5, 2006 #6

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, it's not entirely true. The membership fee for new mods went up to $550 last year.

8. May 5, 2006 #7
    They raised it by $50 again? :grumpy:

9. May 5, 2006 #8

dav2008

Gold Member

Back when PF was just starting all you had to do is give Greg a kiss on the ....uh cheek and he would make you a mod.

10. May 6, 2006 #9

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

yup. Greg needed new servers or something. At least my Community Spirit badge only set me back $50. Next year it will go up to $75!:frown:

11. May 6, 2006 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It is the number of posts that you've made to forums other than General Discussion. We don't count posts here since GD is intended to be more for fun than academic material.

Ignore all other comments in this thread. They are pulling your leg. :grumpy:

12. May 6, 2006 #11
    Funny, coming form a guy with 6,100 posts...............whose the liar now?

13. May 6, 2006 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Uh, care to explain that?

Ah, I get it. :biggrin:

14. May 6, 2006 #13

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We're just keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedingggg!!!!:tongue2: :biggrin:

15. May 6, 2006 #14
    N00B QUESTION: How do you put an avatar?

16. May 6, 2006 #15
    That is reserved (aswell as signature, membertitle and a few other things) to premium membership here at PF :)

17. May 6, 2006 #16
    Or are we pulling your leg? :rofl:

No actually, this time we aren't. Of course now you won't believe us anyway.

18. May 6, 2006 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If I'm not mistaken, we also permit our "medalists" to have avatars and signatures (the science advisors and homework helpers) as a thank-you for their efforts. So, some people have "paid" for them in time and help rather than dollars or pounds or whatever other currency is accepted for contributors.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?