Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Postscript Files

1. Dec 28, 2003 #1

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am trying to read some PS files that I have downloaded. I followed the link to that Wisconsin site that has the software:

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/gsview

Since I am using Windows XP, I downloaded the following:

Ghostscript 8.11 gs811w32.exe
    GSview gsv45w32.exe

I saved them both to the Desktop, and tried to open a PS file, but my computer still says that it doesn't know what program created the file. Do I need to save both files in the same folder? Or somewhere other than the Desktop?

What's happening here?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2003 #2
    Did you double click on the files you downloaded to install them? Also, try installing ghostscript before ghostview.

4. Dec 28, 2003 #3

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

All I did was download them and save them. Is there something else I need to do? I'm wondering why this isn't working out the same as reading PDF files with Acrobat Reader. All I had to do with that was download and save, and then all PDFs would automatically open.

5. Dec 28, 2003 #4

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Are you sure the files you downloaded weren't self extracting? When I did it they were. You would need to execute them, first ghostscript, then gsview. In the wizard that comes up there are options, I believe for having your computer treat the gs extension as telling it to use gsview.

6. Dec 28, 2003 #5

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

OK, I double-clicked on each icon, and they were indeed self-extracting.

I didn't see that option. The only option I had was whether to associate GSView with PS, PDF, or both. I tried to open a PS file from LANL, but even after self-extracting my computer still says that it needs to know what program created the file.[?]

7. Dec 28, 2003 #6
    You need to associate .PS files with GSView.

8. Dec 28, 2003 #7

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, I did that. Actually, I figured out the problem with the Los Alamos Postscripted files: They are g-zipped, and they need a different program. I just successfully opened 3 .ps files (including the one you sent me, Lonewolf--thanks!).

Thanks everyone,

9. Dec 29, 2003 #8
    Heh, welcome :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?