1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Postscript Files

1. Dec 28, 2003 #1

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am trying to read some PS files that I have downloaded. I followed the link to that Wisconsin site that has the software:

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/gsview

Since I am using Windows XP, I downloaded the following:

Ghostscript 8.11 gs811w32.exe
    GSview gsv45w32.exe

I saved them both to the Desktop, and tried to open a PS file, but my computer still says that it doesn't know what program created the file. Do I need to save both files in the same folder? Or somewhere other than the Desktop?

What's happening here?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2003 #2
    Did you double click on the files you downloaded to install them? Also, try installing ghostscript before ghostview.

4. Dec 28, 2003 #3

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

All I did was download them and save them. Is there something else I need to do? I'm wondering why this isn't working out the same as reading PDF files with Acrobat Reader. All I had to do with that was download and save, and then all PDFs would automatically open.

5. Dec 28, 2003 #4

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Are you sure the files you downloaded weren't self extracting? When I did it they were. You would need to execute them, first ghostscript, then gsview. In the wizard that comes up there are options, I believe for having your computer treat the gs extension as telling it to use gsview.

6. Dec 28, 2003 #5

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

OK, I double-clicked on each icon, and they were indeed self-extracting.

I didn't see that option. The only option I had was whether to associate GSView with PS, PDF, or both. I tried to open a PS file from LANL, but even after self-extracting my computer still says that it needs to know what program created the file.[?]

7. Dec 28, 2003 #6
    You need to associate .PS files with GSView.

8. Dec 28, 2003 #7

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, I did that. Actually, I figured out the problem with the Los Alamos Postscripted files: They are g-zipped, and they need a different program. I just successfully opened 3 .ps files (including the one you sent me, Lonewolf--thanks!).

Thanks everyone,

9. Dec 29, 2003 #8
    Heh, welcome :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?