Reading Postscript Files on Windows XP: A Guide

• Thread starter Outside
  • Start date
  • Tags
    files
It's free, and it's worked for me. In summary, to read postscript files on Windows XP, you can use either Ghostview or Adobe Distiller. Ghostview can be found on www.download.com, while Adobe Distiller is a free software that can be used to convert postscript files into acrobat files.
Outside
How do I make it so I can read postscript files? I'm on windows XP, what do I download or do or say? :frown:

Computer science news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Outside
How do I make it so I can read postscript files? I'm on windows XP, what do I download or do or say? :frown:

Good question. I wish I knew. I keep getting pointed to a place where you can download "Ghostview" but its a pain in the ass and I could never get it to work.

Try going to www.download.com and searching for some software for it.

Pete

Yup.. you want ghostview. Note that ghostview depends on ghostscript. It really isn't that much of a pain in the ass, guys.

- Warren

Originally posted by Outside

I've always used Adobe Distiller to convert postscripts into acrobat files.

1. What is a Postscript file?

A Postscript file is a type of computer file that contains instructions for creating high-quality, printable documents. It is often used for creating graphics and documents in the publishing industry.

2. Can I open a Postscript file on Windows XP?

Yes, you can open a Postscript file on Windows XP by using a special software called a Postscript interpreter. This software converts the Postscript instructions into a format that can be displayed on your computer.

3. How do I install a Postscript interpreter on Windows XP?

There are several Postscript interpreters available for Windows XP, such as Ghostscript and Adobe Acrobat Reader. You can download and install these programs for free from their respective websites. Once installed, you can open Postscript files by double-clicking on them.

4. Can I edit a Postscript file on Windows XP?

No, a Postscript file is not meant to be edited directly. However, you can open a Postscript file in a graphics or publishing software, such as Adobe Photoshop or Adobe InDesign, and make changes to it before printing.

5. Are there any limitations to reading Postscript files on Windows XP?

Yes, there may be some limitations depending on the complexity of the Postscript file and the capabilities of your Postscript interpreter. Some advanced features, such as color management and font embedding, may not be fully supported on Windows XP.