Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pot?

1. Oct 28, 2003 #1
    When I was in college, some of the most intriguing questions I was asked about physics were by uneducated kids who smoked…..well…..magic cigarettes. I was wondering if any of you had these same experiences. For some reason that stuff occasionally leads to really profound and interesting ideas and questions.

Does anybody have any clue if famous theorist admitted to getting high?

Pan

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2003 #2
    I havent ever gotten high, maybe im stupid for not getting high by drugs, but i get incredibly high on my own, i have a fire in my stomach sometimes that that makes me feel so amazing, i feel sometimes like i can do anything! oh how blessed i am.

I have heard of scientists using drugs, but i cant name any specific people.

4. Oct 28, 2003 #3
    I can't, but I am sure many have. Plenty of intellectuals have used and abused drugs. Freud was a coke addict, Levi-Strauss wrote an essay trying to figure out what type of drugs someone gave him in college, Foucault used a lot of... well... everything. As for me, I have done too much and too many different types of drugs, something I am not exactly proud of, but whatever.

5. Oct 28, 2003 #4

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In past years I occasionaly partook of the weed.

I even attempted to learn some physics from inside a cloud of smoke. What I found was that in the light of day the smoke induced grand revelations of the night before turned into, at best trivial facts, at worst they were reveled to be total nonsense.

I cannot recomend altered states of mind for deep learning of any subject. This is experiance speaking not just some anti-dope smoking old man spouting off.

As a matter of fact if, some non working evening, a bowl were to be passed my way, I would not hesitate to get some somke in my mind.

6. Oct 29, 2003 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Several classes of drugs off topic, but FYI,

Some years ago a friend of mine sent me his copy of the Berkeley Journal. If I have my story straight, and I think I do, inside was an interview with the guy that won the Nobel Prize "for his invention of the polymerase chain reaction (PCR) method". He came up with the idea while driving down Hwy 101 while on LSD. He said that something about the a road sign triggered the entire concept in a moment. He pulled over, parked on the shoulder of the road, and wrote down the basics on a napkin [or something similar].

I think it was this guy.
    http://www.nobel.se/chemistry/laureates/1993/mullis-autobio.html

You can imagine the reaction.

A note to our younger members: Betting on LSD or any drug to help your career is to bet your life on a lottery ticket.

An LA Times story that mentions his drug use.
    http://www.latimes.com/features/printedition/magazine/la-120201mullis.story

Last edited: Oct 29, 2003
  7. Oct 29, 2003 #6
    A heavy pot smoker I once met seemed to be unable to grasp the most basic and important of chemistry facts. I had to reach over and remove a lit cigarette from his hand when he pulled the fuel line off a motorcycle we were trying to get started, spilling gas all over the driveway.

One of the guys who lives in my building here did lots of acid in high school and in his twenties. Now he hears voices talking to him all the time. For years they tormented him with insults and commands to do embarrassing and pointless things. Now he's on a medication that has turned the abusive voices into friendly ones. He sleeps 16 hours a day, and hasn't done laundry for about three months now. He used to know some electronics but can't remember much of it anymore.

8. Oct 29, 2003 #7
    I had a good friend who is(was) really smart. He smoked a lot of tweed. We used to play a lot of chess and he'd whip me badly. Then I asked him to play me one day not too long ago. I beat him without even putting forth an effort. He swears the pot didn't affect him, but he refuses to play chess with me anymore. I didn't practice to beat him either, since he's the only person I regularly played chess with. My skill hasn't improved. And so it seems, neither has his. Long term pot use does affect you. I don't have the physiological details of what it does handy, but I'm sure someone could fill that in. Plus, those who regularly use, tend occassionaly at least, migrate to other things that have more severe effects. I remember I once tried whip-its(don't ask, not contributing to anyone's cause if you don't already know). Then I found out what that actually does. needless to say it was my first and last time.

9. Oct 29, 2003 #8
    Really nicely put, and I agree with it/you completely.........

10. Oct 29, 2003 #9
    thanks for the responces guys and gals. I just wanted to make myself crystal clear on one thing. In no way was I suggesting to anyone to use drugs to further thier own thought process or carreer. I myself find it a lot easier to grasp ideas and problems with a clear mind.

Pan

11. Oct 29, 2003 #10
    Kekule allegedly came up with the structure of benzene after a marijuana induced dream.

Carl Sagan was a noted marijuana smoker and advocate, under a psuedonym.

It's not that it helps you think more clearly. But it gives you a different perspective on things. You'll have good thoughts that you would never have thought without it. You can't do math any better, so trying to get an edge up in physics is right out. But subjective things like art and social issues take on whole new meanings. Just try watching Aqua Teen Hunger Force of FLCL after a good hit.

12. Oct 29, 2003 #11

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, I know many people who do weed, they are the most uninspiring dope heads on the face of this earth :P they'll get nobel prizes?? I hope I'll live to see that day :P

I heard about the PCR guy getting the idea while driving his car, I didn't know he was on LSD at the time??

13. Oct 29, 2003 #12
    That being said, then, I think the answer to your original question doesn't lie in pot per se, but in the fact that people who "think outside the box" may, in some cases, be attracted to pot, for its "outside the box" aspects. I've never personally encountered anyone who made a habit of it over time, who can think straight about basic things.

14. Oct 29, 2003 #13

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can testify to the fact that the long term effects of heavy pot use in negligible. In the early 70's while in the service, I have to classify myself as a "hashaholic". Turning my last year that I was in the Navy I was stoned EVERYDAY, in spite of this I was able to be recognized as one of the more capalbe technicians aboard ship.

After getting out of the Navy I completed my degree in Physics. Now 30 some odd years later, I do not smoke on a regular basis, ie its been years now. I do not feel that the various periods of use have effected me. I personally would like to see the legal status of Alcohol and Pot swapped.

15. Oct 29, 2003 #14

Njorl

Science Advisor

Integral, from what I understand, the pot available today is significantly stronger than it was 30 years ago. I have seen potheads get dumber over the years. True, it is small compared to what alchohol can do (what pot does in ten years booze can do in 6 months), but it is not negligible.

Njorl

16. Oct 29, 2003 #15
    lol, Monique, ya I bet you know alot of em. I was under the impression that Amsterdam is really only about the ez weed...like, thats the only reason people go there.

Your saying not everyone is a stoner there? Huh...well, I guess its possible that my sources for that info were(are) very narrow minded... yes, that must be it.
    Many of my friends are/were potheads. Yeah, I have noticed that they are capable of some slightly interesting and creative ideas. However with each of them, over time, they have gone downhill. Their overall awareness seems to have been definitely affected by habitual use. Also, it's been saddening to see many of the ones that were ademantly againts it, try it once, and then start using all the usual pathetic justifiers.

So in conclusion...besides a couple a cool sayings and freaky MS paint drawings, I dont see weed as being that valuable to creative thinking.

17. Oct 29, 2003 #16
    Exsqueeze me, but I believe that it all boils down to the person. Yes, the weed nowadays is more potent but only because it has been selectively bred and the info on its horticulture is widespread. I've known people that have terrific insite when under the influence and I've known people that shouldn't be allowed outdoors when in that state. Almost all of the people that I've known that drink alcohol soon lose their sense of judgement and annoy me. When I DID enjoy leaf the people around me noted that I acted nicer that when influenced by alcohol. I found out soon enough, however, that weed and school do not mix, especially math. Sorry KS.

I agree that the legal status of the two should be switched.

18. Oct 29, 2003 #17

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

yeah, well, some people ARE all about the weed, but did you know that in the Netherlands a FAR smaller percentage of people use weed than in the US? The criminal statistics are very small, while in the US they are very high. When I was in the US there was a documentary on Dateline about the drugpolicy in the Netherlands, that was pretty cool to see :D

And Echo 6 Sierra, I can agree that a stickie can certainly inspire and relax.. the thing is most people don't know how to manage and go overboard. Same with alcohol, a glass is good to feel less bounded, but with several glasses the effects change.

Marijuana has actually medicinal powers too, it is a legalized drug in the Netherlands (I mean real drug) and can be written out by the doctor, especially for cancer patients, and the medical insurance will take the bill.

On the other side, alcohol too has its good sides, my mother was told by the doctor to drink a glass of wine each day..

and oh, for the ones wondering, no, I have never used drugs in my life, never even smoked a cigarette :P

19. Oct 29, 2003 #18

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

About the medicinal marijuana: it is actually low grade stuff, not as strong as the stuff in 'coffee shops', for whatever that is worth.. still good for a trip though :P

20. Oct 29, 2003 #19
    I figure that between the ages 12 and 25 I smoked 10 kilos of pot and hash. I got an 800 on my math SAT's when stoned. After I took LSD at Yale, I developed hallucinations, mania, depression and anxiety (precipitated by a preexisting susceptability to mental illness, marked by this self-medication and present in 20% of drug users).

Diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia, I had to drop out of Yale, but several long years later, upon quitting pot, I attained peace of mind I always sought. I have since achieved a BS and MS in physics, and can socialize and communicate better than ever.

Pot is a deceptive weed, seemingly innocent yet a true waste of one's life. Of course it feels good at first, but after awhile one becomes a Skinner monkey with a habit on its back. The medicines I now take have appropriate affect to my medical needs, without the burnout, apathy, delusions, asocialization and irresponsibility.

Pot is a mixture of myriad hallucinogenic chemicals. Held in one's lungs, its tar can be as toxic as that of cigarettes. My left bronchus, I believe, was damaged from constant exposure to pot smoke (yes, I used a bong). LSD and other destructive drugs often have the same dealer as marijuana. Remember that there are more suitable, legal and probably cheaper alternatives for the symptoms of psychiatric illness.

21. Oct 29, 2003 #20
    When doctors say that self-medication is a bad idea, they are right. I learned this the hard way my senior year of high school. I would get depressed so bad I couldn't get out of bed. I was failing all of my classes. To make a long story short, I started using crystal meth. It got me out of bed that was for sure. I started going to school. Soon I was doing a lot of crystal meth everyday (I had a friend who came into about 7 grand in this period, he blew it all in a few months on meth and a laptop, which he later sold to buy more meth). Needless to say once I became dependent on the drug things became worse, even my depression. I am only telling this story to warn others not to do the same.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?