1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potassium Alum

1. Sep 26, 2006 #1
    Hi guys,

I know the formula for Potassium Alum is:

[tex]2KAl(SO_{4})_{2} * 12H_{2}O[/tex]

Now does this mean that there are 2 Moles of Potassium Alum or 24 moles of Potassium Alum if you include the 12 water molecules? I know when you calculate the molar mass of Potassium Alum, you need to add in the molar mass of the 12 water molecules.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2006 #2
    It means there are 2 moles of potassium alum in that formula as written. The '*' just means that each molecule set [tex]2KAl(SO_{4})_{2}[/tex] is surrounded by 12 molecules of water. But if that is the exact formula for potassium alum then [tex]2KAl(SO_{4})_{2} * 12H_{2}O[/tex] is only 1 mole. There are 2 moles of potassium and 2 moles of aluminum, but that entire structure is only 1 mole of potassium alum.

4. Sep 26, 2006 #3
    Hi dmoravec, thanks for the reply. I am just confused on how there can be only 1 mole for that whole structure.

I just need help on converted moles of aluminum to moles of alum.

[tex]2K^+ + 2Al^+3 + 4SO_{4}^-2 + 12H_{2}O --> 2KAl(SO_{4})_{2} * H_{2}O [/tex]

Now does this mean that 2 moles of Aluminum react with 2 moles of Potassium Alum or just 1 mole, as you mentioned above, of Postassium Alum?

Thanks again

5. Sep 26, 2006 #4
    well, its a bit nitpicky and just depends on naming but it could be either depending on how you define 1 molecule of potassium alum and how exactly the right side of the equation is written. If potassium alum is defined as [tex]2KAl(SO_{4})_{2} * 12H_{2}O[/tex] then it would be 2 moles of aluminum equating with 1 mole of potassium alum. If potassium alum is defined as [tex]KAl(SO_{4})_2*12H_{2}O[/tex] then it would be 2 moles of aluminum equating with 2 moles of potassium alum.

(the difference lies in the formula above being [tex] (2KAl(SO_{4})_2*12H_{2}O)[/tex] or
    [tex] 2(KAl(SO_{4})_2*12H_{2}O)[/tex])

6. Sep 26, 2006 #5
    Thanks dmoravec...the formula is actually written as the latter, with the 2 on the outside of the entire formula, so it must be 2 moles of aluminum reacting with 2 moles of potassium alum, in other words a 1:1 ratio. Thanks again, it was a big help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?