In a Potassium Chlorate (a strong) oxider and sugar is mixed with sulfuric acid a fire will break out. I understand that a acid-strong oxdizing reagent is exothermic reaction but why the sugar required.
Potassium Chlorate and Sugar ignitor is a chemical mixture that is commonly used as an igniter for various pyrotechnic devices, such as fireworks, flares, and smoke bombs. It is made by mixing potassium chlorate, a strong oxidizing agent, with sugar, a fuel source.
When the mixture of potassium chlorate and sugar is heated, the sugar breaks down into carbon dioxide and water, releasing energy. This energy then ignites the potassium chlorate, which in turn breaks down into oxygen gas and potassium chloride. The oxygen gas fuels the combustion of the sugar, creating a sustained and intense flame.
Potassium Chlorate and Sugar ignitor can be hazardous if mishandled. The mixture is highly flammable and can ignite easily, so it should be handled with caution. It is important to wear appropriate protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, when working with this mixture. It is also crucial to follow proper storage and disposal guidelines to avoid any accidents.
Potassium Chlorate and Sugar ignitor is commonly used in pyrotechnics and is a key component in making homemade fireworks, flares, and smoke bombs. It is also used in science experiments, such as creating a "screaming jelly baby" or a "fire snake" demonstration, and in some industrial processes, such as the production of matches.
While Potassium Chlorate and Sugar ignitor can be safely used in controlled environments, there are still potential dangers to be aware of. The mixture can be explosive if not handled properly, and it should never be mixed with other chemicals or substances. In addition, the combustion of the mixture can release toxic fumes, so proper ventilation is necessary when working with it. It is important to always follow safety precautions and use the mixture responsibly.